Lily pads in my saltwater aquarium?

MrAnonymous

Hi. So one of my snails that I have in my nano tank had grown some long white hairs. I didn't pay any attention to it because it didn't seem to be causing harm to anything in my tank. Then it sprouted what looks like lily pads at the end of the hairs. Does anyone know what is growing on my snail?
image.jpg

flower

Hi,

Lilly pads grow in ponds in fresh water...what you have there is a decorative macroalgae called Acetabulia. It's awesome stuff, absorbing ammonia, nitrites, phosphates and nitrates from your water, making it pristine... and hopefully the snail will seed your entire tank with it.

MrAnonymous

Wow thats great to hear. When I asked the guy at my LFS what it was he said he didn't know, but he said he wanted the snail. Thank you for answering my question.

Do you know how my snail started growing the acetabularia?

flower

Wow thats great to hear. When I asked the guy at my LFS what it was he said he didn't know, but he said he wanted the snail. Thank you for answering my question.

Do you know how my snail started growing the acetabularia?
A piece of it had to have been attached to the snail, and the tank the snail is in had to have enough nasty's in the water for it to absorb and grow...macroalgae feeds on ammonia, nitrites, phosphates and nitrates...as it grows and you remove the over growth (called harvesting) you will remove what it used to absorb and grow on...out of the system, making your water pristine.

Most folks hear the word algae, and panic, but macroalgae is very good for keeping up your SW tanks water quality. Check out "GOLF COAST ECOSYSTEMS"