feather duster...

trigger40

i gess one of thes guys hich hiked because for the past few weeks ive been waching this thing grow in my tank and now i am certain its a feather dust. i havent ben doing anything for it i just let it gro but its starting to become noticeable so does anybody know anything about feather dusters?

flower

i gess one of thes guys hich hiked because for the past few weeks ive been waching this thing grow in my tank and now i am certain its a feather dust. i havent ben doing anything for it i just let it gro but its starting to become noticeable so does anybody know anything about feather dusters?
Hi,

First...be certain it's a feather duster and not aptasia...post a picture like Silverado said. One new member not long ago, thought she/he had a burst of feather dusters, but it turned out to be aptasia and she/he didn't know it until the tank was loaded with them. Second, if it is a feather duster... just leave it alone, they are filter feeders, and absorb their food from the water. It would not be growing unless it already has all it needs to do so.

flower

Hi,

This is important...do not disturb it until you know what it is. Aptasia will spread like wildfire if you bother it at all. If it's aptasia, let us know and we can go from there and tell you what to do to be rid of it.

bang guy

Easy test - get a small piece of seafood and brush it against the tentacles. A Featherduster will withdraw without the food and Aiptasia will withdraw with the food.

trigger40

this is the best i can do. all i have is an i phone
IMG_5192.jpg

you can see it but its really blury. its about dead center of the pic.

silverado61

Looks to me like a feather duster worm (Bispira). Even if you only have one, they multiply by fission so pretty soon you'll have many more.

But I could be wrong because your right, that's a really blurry pic.

Last edited:

flower

+1... way too blurry of a pic to tell for certain, do what Bang Guy said to test it.

trigger40

i thought it was to bad of a pic to help. its tough to get in ther its all the way in my lr. but it isnt an anemone it wont take any thing i offer it and goes back in its whole if i make a sudden movement if that helps.