Building a small sump, worth it?

seecrabrun

I'd love input on if building a small sump is worth it on my 29g tank or if it may be more worth than it is worth.

I'd also love any links you can provide for building a small sump and plumbing a 29g standard tank.

I don't have a lot of room to work with under the tank, and I guess I will have to waterproof the cabinet somehow as well? Or is it a good idea to put a solid lid on the sump?

beaslbob

having an external sump does complicate operations and it also opens the possibiliby for floods.

But lotsa people do use them.

IMHO an in tank refugium might be just a good and a lot easier/safer operation.

my .02

snakeblitz33

You could use a hand on tank refugium as your main filter and put your heater in it to save space on the inside of your tank.

seecrabrun

I do have a hang on refugium getting started. I use 2 50w heaters and they are too big for the refugium.

I've been told I need a skimmer and I think that will put me at all ledges except the front covered

beaslbob

I do have a hang on refugium getting started. I use 2 50w heaters and they are too big for the refugium.

I've been told I need a skimmer and I think that will put me at all ledges except the front covered
FWIW with macros balacing out and stabilizing the system, a skimmer is not needed.

acrylic51

No lid on the sump.....depends on the amount of space you have under the tank if it's worthwhile.

Skinr1

I have run a wet/dry for years , never had a problem knock on wood
also im about to upgrade a bigger 1 for my 90gal .
I might sell the small 1 that's running it now

beaslbob

a wet/dry filter is just a open container where the water runs through the media instead of being forced through in a closed container.

I made one from a wastebasket with the bottom replaced by plastic window screen. And used crushed oyster shells as filter media. Shells cost $7 for 40 pounds or so.

It was at the end of my drain before the refugium. The water just ran through the media into the refugium/sump.

my .02

seecrabrun

So I'm still thinking about this but I'm looking at doing more of a refugium than sump?

Water would come in and through a sock, then into the tank with the plants, mud, rock, and then be pumped back. I'm running a 29g tank and I don't have a lot of space.

I'm trying to decide should I try to build one to fit in the cubby I have, it would need to be acrylic and I don't know anything about that or where to get it, or it would be a 5.5g tank.

Thoughts?