Surplus military vehicles and the police...

darthtang aw

I am not disagreeing with the cop having bruises. Where we disagree is when the threat to the officer ended.

I state it ended when the victim was fleeing and thus did not justify being shot at any further since clearly the officer still had his gun.

You are including all the color commentary.

No one in the pd has disputed the victim was fleeing and unarmed when shot dead. This is the only part of the story that matters according to the law. Listen to all the other color commentary. Until the pd disputes this part the eyewitnesses to the shooting would hold the most sway on a jury in the court of law. Without counter testimony to this no e of the other stuff matters.

darthtang aw

Ofcorse there are. Because you've already made up your mind.
Until the pd releases info pertaining to the victim fleeing and getting shot to countermand all other accounts i have nothing with which to recieve any other conclusion.

The robbery doesnt matter in this case as the pd stated the victim was not stopped in relation to the robbery. So even if it turns out i am wrong on the apparel (which is possible since we do t have clear pictures) it doesnt matter. The pd is not disputing the victim was fleeing.

darthtang aw

Supposedly the cop has bruises from a power struggle. If they wrestled for the gun or the kid was on top of the cop then reaching around to shoot in the back may have been the only option.

You and I weren't there. Shall we continue to speculate?
The first shot is reported to have go e off i side the car. If the first shot was the officer shooting the i dividual in The back how did the body get 35 to 40 feet from the car and why was there a need for more shots if the victim was shot and staggering that far? All witnesses state he was going to his knees with his hands up. How could so many witnesses have the same story so fast?

2quills

We know where the threat ended. After the shooting which most likely ended after an assault. Dude, if you go after a cops gun then best of luck to you.

2quills

Shot and was unarmed. Justify that. In the middle of the street no less, in the back.
Coroner's report is stating shot 6 times. 4 in the right arm and two in the head. One entered the top of the head. All shot were fired from the front. None in the back.

Justify that.

Based on everything that has now been released, it sure looks like the cop will be looking at 2nd degree murder at worst, and voluntary manslaughter at best. Let's assume that the kid did come after the cop in his vehicle. And let's also assume that the cop got a shot off from inside his cruiser. If the story stopped right there, then I think the cop was acting well within his rights. However, the independent autopsy shows 6 shots, four to the arm, and two to the head, with the last one entering near his eye, out his jaw, and into his collarbone area. So that's an angle where he was either laying down, or falling. There was also no gunshot residue on the person, meaning he was shot from at least a few feet away (not point blank). Based on all that, it sounds like you have a pissed off cop who very briefly was scared for his life. That fear was probably quickly alleviated as the suspect backed away (due to a shot fired and landed, or missed) and in the heat of the moment, the cop probably still riding the fear factor, opened fire on a suspect who was no longer a threat. That puts him absolutely in the wrong. If those end up being the facts, and I was the prosecuting attorney, I would look at murder two. Again, that's if the facts turn out to be what I talked about above. The problem is, with no dash cam, it's the cops word against the eye witnesses. He said/she said almost always favors the cop. So, this is probably going to get messy.

The bigger issue at hand is how the community felt like rioting and looting was acceptable in the aftermath. You want to protest? Good, I think it's not only your right, but your duty. However, unfortunately that community has scum that use a protest as an excuse to loot. Looting is never, ever justified (in rare cases after a natural disaster where you need food to survive).

2quills

Now you're starting to think like an investigator.

The mob is really easy to rile up. Once again we have Crump (the lawer), together with Sharpton (the instigator) and Holder promising a federal investigation into this travesty of white cops killing black kids.

Same MO as the Martin case. Cherry picking cases that they belive will work for their agenda.

If you ask me they simply needed another distraction for the administration with everything else that's heating up in Iraq and what the president is about to do in regards to immigration.

Notice how its primarily liberal news media getting mixed up in the mess out there?

2 (don't do stupid stuff) Quills

2quills

Does the independent autopsy differ from the original coroners autopsy? Oh wait. We dont know that info. Do we?
Have you given consideration to the fact that its still an open investigation?

When was the last time you've known any department to comment on details of an open investigation?

It's called policy.

2 (don't belive the hype) Quills

reefraff

That shot in the top of the head is gonna be hard to explain unless it was fired point blank, which if you think about the angle of the bullet would have to travel might be the case. I also think that eye witness was lying out his butt when he sad the guy had his hands up to surrender. Cop isn't going to be aiming at someone's arm like that. If there's no GSR on the body that cop is screwed.

2quills

Well its clear the folks in that neighborhood hate the cops. Emotional testimony is 80% inflated.

The only thing that matters is did the cop have good reason to believe that Brown was still a threat.

It's going to be another gray area just like the Martin case unless someone has real video of the shooting. Not just the body laying in the street.

Perfect distraction case. BTW, where are the families answers from Holders investigation into the Martin case? I am currious since they made it national news.

darthtang aw

Have you given consideration to the fact that its still an open investigation?

When was the last time you've known any department to comment on details of an open investigation?

It's called policy.

2 (don't belive the hype) Quills
You forget i live i. Albuquerque. We have had a rash of police shootings the last five years. Doj was brought in to investigate. Remember the homeless guy on the mountain that apd killed? We had marches and protests. It was national news. As details were discovered our pd disclosed them. The video of the shooting was taken by pd and released by pd during the ongoing investigation.

The. Coronoers report is not something g that is hush hush. Especially when you are national news.

2quills

You forget i live i. Albuquerque. We have had a rash of police shootings the last five years. Doj was brought in to investigate. Remember the homeless guy on the mountain that apd killed? We had marches and protests. It was national news. As details were discovered our pd disclosed them. The video of the shooting was taken by pd and released by pd during the ongoing investigation.

The. Coronoers report is not something g that is hush hush. Especially when you are national news.
Actually no I don't remember that. Nevertheless it happens. Last year or so a camera down here caught a cop killing a handicap person for no apparent reasons. And he was charged

Reports are not facts so chilax. Special agent Holder is on this now. He'll get to the bottom of it.

According to the DOJ, medical examiners report can take weeks to months for all of the testing to come back. They already told you he was shot multiple times and families examiner has confirmed. Although he has no acces to the clothes for GSR testing. He's not forensics.

reefraff

I think cops should be using non lethals accept in extreme cases. May still be time to get in on rubber bullets.
In this case it's because they make a cool camera that hangs on the cop's uniform. There's gonna be a huge push for all cops to have a camera on them after this. Stock was up nearly 10% today and one point. This camera can also be tethered to the cop's phone so they could actually take it off their vest and use it to look around corners or over walls when looking for suspects.

2quills

Body cams and dash cams should be madatory. I have no problem with that.

It would cut through a lot of the speculation and help justice to better be served for whoever deserves it.

I have little doubt that cops get over aggressive from time to time. And at the same time people make a lot of false claims against cops. Having eyes on them and potential law breakers is the ultimate equalizer.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
4. Location of the body in proximity to the squad car. All agree he was shot while fleeing. Meaning he had separated himself from the officer and was no longer fighting with him. The officer was no longer in immediate danger. The police disclosed he had stolen cigars on his body the discovered after he was dead.
All do not agree he was shot while fleeing. This was reported today from a woman who is supposedly a friend of the officier:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/19/us/ferguson-darren-wilson-support/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Basically, there was a scuffle for the gun when the officer was pushed back into the car by Brown, the gun went off. Brown then fled. The officer called after him. Brown turned, made aggressive vocalizations, then bum-rushed at the police officer. The coroner's report will confirm the entry points of the bullets (back or front), but, I believe the unofficial autopsy performed by the family revealed the shots were frontal, not in the back.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/18/us/michael-brown-autopsy-shows-he-was-shot-at-least-6-times.html?_r=0
So much for the creditability of what was initially reported that Brown was shoot in the back.

There are plenty of wanta-be thugs attending college, BTW. Last year I was involved as a juror in a murder trail. Young black man attending the local community college got pissed when another partier purposely spilled a drink on him. He in turn shot into a car of 4 as they were leaving the party, killing the driver of the car who had nothing to do with argument. He will be spending the rest of his life in jail now, at age 22.

2quills

There is also a video I saw last night of the aftermath where you can hear a whiteness in the background asking why he (allegedly, Brown) came at him (the cop) like that?

beaslbob

I have heard other departments for instance the department of education, eviromental protection agency, are getting these things also.

why do they need this type of equipment?

As far as the police, better the police then the bad guys.