Green Mandarian Dragonet

cysco1187

If you have one, what do you feed it? I've read that they are very picky eaters and only like live food. If you have been successful in raising one, what do you feed it?

jay0705

Its prawn eggs. All fish love it. But it gets draggonets eating rt away. Mine eat frozen mysis now, but it can take a bit. My most recent mandy took about 5-7 days to start picking at mysis, now it eats them whole. Now a wk may not seem long but for these fish it can be. Since there often not fed well. These are probably one of my favorite fish to have. There totally docile w other fish and the greens can be kept together. The spotted can not!.

jay0705

In limited amounts it seems. One place gets it here or there but not like it should be. Even online its tough. If its a seasonal issue it should be coming around soon. I stocked up last fall everybody had it then

candaceswf

Administrator
Wow! That's so interesting, I haven't heard of this roe, or even that mandarins are so fond of it. How does it come? frozen..?

2quills

Mine primarily eats live but every once in a great while I'll see it go after a piece of frozen mysis.

Get an Ora Mandarin if you want one already trained to eat frozen.

jay0705

Wow! That's so interesting, I haven't heard of this roe, or even that mandarins are so fond of it. How does it come? frozen..?
Yes its frozen. Ova is who makes/collects it. All fish love it, but draggonets and pipe fish are fond of it due to its small size. It must be something mandys eat normally in nature bc they dive rt into it.

jay0705

Mine primarily eats live but every once in a great while I'll see it go after a piece of frozen mysis.

Get an Ora Mandarin if you want one already trained to eat frozen.
I have 4 mandys, 3 scooters all eat mysis and spirulina brine. Honestly I think people dont feed them enough at first, so they can examine frozen and fig out it is food. There deliberate feeders at first. Now once eating it there like my fox lol . In my one tank I open the top they swim up bc they know whats coming lol

candaceswf

Administrator
Thanks for the info jay!

Unfortunately ORA hasn't had any mandarins available for some time now, they were quite popular when they had them for the fact that they would take frozen foods. I guess even ORA had some trouble tank raising them if they haven't had them for so long.

candaceswf

Administrator
We do not, and I agree! So many people have issues with the mandarins, this sounds like it would be so great to offer. I will definitely pass along the info!

geridoc

Excellent. I learned about it on this forum. But I cant remember who told me lol
That was me. And the bad news is that now I can't get Nutramar. The "good" news - my mandie died when the heart in my office failed last winter.

jay0705

Oh that sucks. I thought it was you. I wasnt sure tho. Yea idk whats up w it. Ive tried a few diff suppliers and they cant get it either. Its got to be a seasonal item. I dont really need it but I like having it on hand. I have a serious mandarin addiction lol just incase there extra picky I like using the nutramar