powder brown tang with dark patches

mauler

My powder brown tang has dark almost burn or scar looking patches on his body and on his tail does anyone have any idea what this could be

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can you post up some pics of the problem? Also, how long have you had this tang? Any other fish showing signs of stress or problems? What are your water readings?

mauler

I can try but hes terrified of my camera so it won't be a good picture and the patches are hard to see anyways. I've had him for almost a week no they're all eating like fat happy fish swimming around normally it's just the PB he scratches on the sand sometimes too but he's eating fine and he doesn't seem to ever stop swimming. Ammonia-0 nitrite-0 nitrate-30

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It could be stress. Not uncommon for tangs. What size tank is this fish in? Water conditions? Tank mates?

mauler

It's a 135g salinity 1.024, temperature 77-78, ph 8.0, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 30. There's a Picasso trigger and a pair of percula clowns

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Is the fish eating normally? (What are you feeding it?) Do you notice aggression? (You really need to observe this closely, as aggression is not always so obvious. Does the fish cower in a corner, is timid to eat, breathing rapidly, has any torn fins?)

Do the brown spots actually look like a brown skin color rather then an actual growth or spot on the fish? As if the spot is a fading of the color to brownish? Do you notice this all the time, or just during some times?

mauler

He's eating great I feed him blanched romaine lettuce, nori, spirulina brineshrimp, mysis shrimp, and something called emarld entree that has almonds of things in it. I don't see any aggression the only time my trigger gets mean is when I feed them he's somewhat timid to eat because the trigger gets a little mean. He's not scared to swim around the tank at all I honestly think I've seen him sit still like once or twice he's always swimming. He has a very little tear in his tail fin but it's really small. The spots are flat on his body and fins. He's breathing normal

mauler

I don't think they come and go but they look like they're spreading and it's just dark areas on his body and fin

beth

Administrator
Staff member
No there more like blotches than spots
I think it's stress. Wish you could a pic up.

Drop the romaine lettuce and the nori. Romaine has no nutritional value for marine fish, and nori is questionable (not sure if salt or other things are added since it is a people food not a fish food). I'd suggest getting algae made for fish consumption.

mauler

I can try to get a pic but he won't hold still and these patches are hard to see so I'm not sure if they would even show in a picture. I'll pick up some fish food algae. And is it normal for fish to get stress spots and if it's getting worse then that means he's getting more stressed?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Tangs typically will more so than some other fish. Depends on what the spots look like.

Here is a tang with brown splotches which is likely caused by hyper-melanization (skin pigment reaction to stinging cells of corals and/or anemone:

Here is another fish that actually has black ich (a parasite that requires medication treatment):

This fish has a bacterial infection and though it looks red here, sometimes an infection can be more of a brownish coloration:

Here is stress

mauler

It's definitely not bacterial or black ich or corals since I have none. It's kinda like the first powder blue only it's brownish grey and not nearly as bad. And if it is stress do I just wait it out? And if it's not stress what should I be looking for?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Keep an eye on it. Look for other signs of problems, such as fish breathing heavily, deteriorating fins, etc. It may just be a settling in period for the fish. Maybe try to offer the trigger food on one side of tank, and then a bit more food to other fish on the opposite of the tank while the trigger is distracted elsewhere.

mauler

I'll try it but my trigger is a veggie eat as well so he scares him away from the nori sometimes too

mauler

I think you are 100% right about it being stress I got home and he looks a lot better than this morning

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Yep, and the trigger is the problem. Keep an unobtrusive eye on them this weekend to see if you notice outright chasing or aggressive posturing. Hopefully, its just a mealtime aggression over food and not going on all the time. A new tang will be stressed in a new setup anyway; but add an aggressive tank mate, its pretty easy to get them bummed.