***** gluing anemones?

Jamester28

I went to ***** to get some live rock for my tank and they were in short supply. The one I wanted had 6 small anemones on it. When I jokingly asked if they were free with the rock she said well we'll charge you for carpet anemone and the rock will be free because "I think they super glue these things on here". I assumed she was just ignorant so I bought it. (30 bucks didnt seem like too bad of a gamble) The larger one really seems like its trying to walk at times but can't. I took a time lapse video and it is apparent to me he is struggling to move. His foot hasn't budged a mm so I fiddled with different amounts and directions of current by moving my power head around and he's either given up or is more satisfied with the environment I tailored for it. It seems inhumane to me if they did in fact glue them down! Also can someone tell me the species because it doesn't look like carpet anemone to me.

Attachments

Jamester28

Thank you! I'm kind of new but she said they were anemones and I wasn't so sure. The guy that actually is their "expert" and handles all the water changes and care said it was a polyp when I called back. I trust forums any day over store employees! Thanks a million!

candaceswf

Administrator
I don't believe the super glue would work if they did try to glue them, they put off quite a bit of slime/mucus when they're handled, but once they attach themselves it can seem like they're glued lol... and you definitely got a great deal for them! I haven't dealt with ***** myself bc the ones near me don't have a saltwater system, but everything I have heard about ***** and their saltwater marine life is not good.

Jamester28

I appreciate all the replies! I live near Seattle and I found a place that was very helpful. They gave me some suggestions and I adjusted some parameters, upgraded my lighting to an ever grow LED bank, and am buying an RO DI asap. The mushrooms are looking much better and my green star polyps LOVE the light. I'm taking my time to acclimate the system to it though as it was an upgrade from a single T8.:oops: No more ***** for me.

Attachments

skitzo7170

I live near in a small town and the ***** does carry saltwater marine life. I have purchased a pink tip anemone and a skunk shrimp from them and they are super healthy. They are not the best but this one is a good one. That's my two cents...

Jamester28

Here is a before an after of *****'s green star polyp. I'm sure there are Petcos that get good hobbyists to handle their systems... This one not so much. I'm much happier driving the extra distance to a dedicated reef tank store.

Attachments

jay0705

I think alot comes down to the hobbyist. I've seen bad fish at alot of places, ***** generally isnt the best but ive gotten fish there and there fine. You just have to know what your looking at.

Jhoss1511

It all depends on what ***** you go to for fish! The company is an amazing company and actually cares about its employees and animal life. Ask if the store is an aquatic magnet store, if yes then you should get people in the aquatics department that know what they are doing as well as some healthy fish /corals, if the answer is no....well then Buy at your own risk.

Last edited:

seecrabrun

Bit of an older post, but I know the Petcos in Gadsden, AL and Hoover, AL do not glue them. I see them walking all over the place, even found one on the return pipe once with a clown trying to hide in it!