Surplus military vehicles and the police...

2quills

You deserve a more i depth response than i am able to adequately give from my phone so we will have to pause the discussion. I can say i do believe the investigation is still ongoing for ferguson. So i am not wrong yet.
No worries. I know we probably won't see completely eye to eye on this and I'm ok with that.

I just think that there's a bigger picture begining to emerge from the way we use law enforcement to deal with certain issues. And I'm affraid that its creating alterior problems that I'm not certain is worth it.

Time to consider a new approach IMO to the wars on drugs and crime.

I have no problem with the equipment when its used in response to an equally comparative threat.

bang guy

I areas like Chicago, LA, etc, I have no problem at all with a branch of the police being fully "militarized". They show a knife the cops show a handgun, they show a handgun the cops show an M16. They show an M16 the cops show up in an M1. I have no problem with that at all.

Overstepping bounds by the police should continue to be dealt with on a case by case basis. I don't believe there is some pervasive takeover by local cops.

2quills

Indeed.

Speaking of cases how about that Chicago police commander who's just been charged with official misconduct and aggravated battery?

Crazy stuff.

darthtang aw

No worries. I know we probably won't see completely eye to eye on this and I'm ok with that.

I just think that there's a bigger picture begining to emerge from the way we use law enforcement to deal with certain issues. And I'm affraid that its creating alterior problems that I'm not certain is worth it.

Time to consider a new approach IMO to the wars on drugs and crime.

I have no problem with the equipment when its used in response to an equally comparative threat.

I see where you are coming from. I also agree to an extent when it comes to select branches of the government needing such tactics and equipment.

However when it come to actual police forces, i think they deserve every bit of equipment needed. Over the last two centuries the Criminal element has evolved decade by decade. As so should the police forces that "combat" these forces. I had a very long breakdown of statistical numbers of society (Historically and current). Showing how as social issues have changed the platform within this country so, has it changed the criminal element and the tools needed to combat it.

I also had data on murders each year compared with people shot by cops, then comparing them by social and racial groups. But it isn't worth the discussion. I even dug into your cato institute link, which as a whole looks horrific. But when broken down year by year it less than 1 hundreth of a percentage point of occurances when compared to the number of actions taken each year. If our politicians erred as often as what the cato institute showed the police erring, this country would be in a great place right now.

So lets leave it as I don't see the concern when it comes to local PD as most are saying. The fed some organizations I can agree with.

2quills

Agreed, we can leave it alone.

I will sum up my point of view with this last thought. And that is when ever we seem to create policy to go after crime, crime seems to rise as a result. And with it does the veil of silence on the part of those doing the job.

It takes wolves to catch wolves and when you run through the country like a bull in a china cabinet there is going to be collateral damage. As the shear numbers of raids on non violent has increased exponentially so to has public outrage.

JMO