New Tank is full and sand is in! Plus an introduction.

I finally got the water and sand in the aquarium today. One step closer to getting it going! I am Andrew Palagyi friends call me Drew. I live in Ohio and have been in the Navy, wife and two kids, six grand kids. Have done many things and seen many things. Way too many hobbies to mention but this was one of the reasons I wanted a saltwater aquarium. My wife said if I would give up many of my hobbies then I could have one. So the remote control toys are going away, the making of fishing lures and tackle is going away just to name a few. I play drums for a semi-pro band (in other words a family band that will never go anywhere even though we are good), I also am a photographer and I build computers. My life has been too hectic so I am going to relax and enjoy my fish! I have had many freshwater aquariums but have always dreamed of having a saltwater eco system.
Well enough about me. I am about to order my live rock on Monday. Getting pretty excited!

Ok so now for a silly question. When I get my rock and cure it. Can I put my "cleaners" in the tank when I set the rock in? Snails, clams, crabs, and shrimp? Or do I wait until the first cycle is complete?

trigger40

Ok so now for a silly question. When I get my rock and cure it. Can I put my "cleaners" in the tank when I set the rock in? Snails, clams, crabs, and shrimp? Or do I wait until the first cycle is complete?
lol no you cant. the cycle will kill them them and you should wait until you have stuff for them to clean up anyway.(usualy thats after the first fish)

lol no you cant. the cycle will kill them them and you should wait until you have stuff for them to clean up anyway.(usualy thats after the first fish)
I thought so but wanted to make sure. Pet stores really want to sell stuff apparently. They told me they would be fine. Trickers! Thanks again.

geridoc

What size tank do you have. Hippo tangs need a lot of swimming space: 5-6 feet. Don't be misled by getting a very small one, since they have terrible survival records. 3-5 inches is the smallest I would consider.

jay0705

I have to agree. Ive held off bc all I can find are tiny ones. Once acclimated and feeding they are one of the least aggressive tangs tho. If your tank is large enough I would add the tang after the clowns. Let it get established, then add more fish. The less stress for them the best. They have the nick name ich magnet for a reason lol

What size tank do you have. Hippo tangs need a lot of swimming space: 5-6 feet. Don't be misled by getting a very small one, since they have terrible survival records. 3-5 inches is the smallest I would consider.
60 gallon. My neighbor has a 90 which is the same width and heighth just deeper by four inches. He has a hippo tang and has had he for over a year.