my fish keep disappearing.

trigger40

at this point i have lost 6 fish because they keep disappearing. and i mean gone with no trace no bone or anything. today i got up and all my fish were happy and swimming around. i come home from school and my new trigger fish was gone, no dead body i examend all the rock because he may have hid himself. i tore the tank apart looking for him and i found nothing. i searched out of the tank because maybe he jumped out. he wasent on the flore. i would blame it on my eel but ther is no way a 14'' snowflake could eat a trigger fish. i did see a bump in him but it wasnt very big and he got fed the day befor so maybe it was that. i cant aford to keep putting fish in my tank and to have them disappear. i took the eel out to see if that will make things better but i dont think an eel can take down a trigger with no problem. my original fish is still doing fine and he is happy but i cant say the same for all the other fish i have got. please help, if i lose any more fish it might be time to tear down.

silverado61

You'd be surprised what an eel can fit in it's mouth. They actually have two sets of jaws. One to grab onto food. Another one inside to pull the food in.

trigger40

so you think it was the eel. usualy you can see its meal in its body and the lump he had was not that big.

trigger40

well the lump came out and it was a silver side head. so maybe the trigger will come out too. but i still dont see a lump for the trigger?

tonysi

That's a relatively small trigger, so uhhh, ya I'm gonna go with the sfe eating him. Or he is the reincarnate of Houdini and he will poof back in your tank alive and well.

jay0705

I get the appeal of eels, but this is why I dont have one. Generally its not if they will eat tank mates its a matter of when

trigger40

well i bought the eel when he was the size of a pencil and he grew up a lot faster than every one else. so the eel is in my qt for now untill i find him a home.