Acclimation

Now this may sound silly but how do you acclimate a saltwater fish? I have done the floating with freshwater but this is not the same. I was planning on putting the fish in my sterile tub and dripping the water from my tank into the bag slowly. Will that work?

jay0705

I float and slowly add tank water to the bag, until the bag water is the same salinity as my tank. Then dump bag in net w fish add fish to tank. Do not add water from the bag to your tank

I float and slowly add tank water to the bag, until the bag water is the same salinity as my tank. Then dump bag in net w fish add fish to tank. Do not add water from the bag to your tank
Thanks. Was wondering. Also found a great thread on it by Snake. Very good forum to be a part of. You all ROCK!

seecrabrun

I got a 2 pack of the accudrip tubes from amazon for $20 and I put the fish in a container and follow the directions. It slowly drips the water from the main tank to the container. Once it has been about an hour you catch the fish and dispose of the water in the container.

jay0705

I hear about the drip method alot. Especially w inverts and such. I just float them too. Lol everybody has there own way. The biggest thing, is salinity in the bag. Check the bag water sometime. Its crazy. I got a kole tang from a lfs. He ordered it for me so I came in, I picked up. The water from the supplier was at 1.018! My tank was 1.024. Took me 3 hrs to slowly raise the bag

candaceswf

Administrator
The drip method is the best way to go if you can do it. I used to float my fish as well, and never had a problem with it, but once I heard about the drip method and understood it that's all I do now. It's much better for the marine life it eases them into their new environment, and less stress is good for them after being bagged (and shipped in some cases).

flower

We all do indeed have our own way of doing things. I don't like the drip method, the temp in the container is different then the temps in the tank, which causes shock. I float the bag for half an hour, and remove some water to a cup to toss out, and add some water from the tank with a turkey baster (marked FISH ONLY)...I do that (every 20 minutes, until all the water left in the bag is from my tank...then I release the fish/invert or coral.

trigger40

i poke 10 holes in the bag and let it float for 15 mins. but i would only do that if you are putting the fish in a qt.

jay0705

Ever think we over think this stuff? Lol certain fish are delicate no doubt. But thinking of acclamation reminds me of my wrasse that carpet surfed idk how long he was out but that was 5 months ago hes going strong lol and fairy wrasse are supp to be delicate