opinions on the whole sump thing

seecrabrun

I've been going back and forth on this for a while. I decided to build a sump, then decided I don't need one, then semi build, then buy, then... You get the drift.

I could really use some opinions.

I'm running a 29g FOWLR on a 20L-29g cabinet, so I don't have a lot of room in the bottom. To add to that the power supply is inside the cabinet on the wall and while I plan to move it some, I can't actually move it anywhere but up a few inches. The wall the tank is on is kind of an island and aside from putting the tank in the kitchen uncomfortably close to food, this wall is the only place I have for the entire tank setup.

So a standard 10g tank does not fit due to the outlet. A 5g does but what good is that? Anything deeper won't work due to the cabinet. I found a frameless 11g that according to the website should literally for like a puzzle piece. Not sure if that's a good thing to try since I'm stuck if it doesn't work and it costs $67. If I did go that route though I'd need to find someone to cut glass baffles as our Lowe's and home depot don't offer glass cutting. I've talked to 2 glass places and they offer 1/8 and 1/2 inch thickness. Neither of which will work I don't think?

I considered having glass cut to make my own tank but again those are my only 2 thicknesses locally and they are $3.50 and $5 a square foot plus cutting fee (it wasn't much but I can't remember what it was). Though Lowe's and home depot carry 3/32" that they may cut for me and I could special order a different size but that is just going to add up $$.

Then I've looked at prebuilt sumps. I've had a hard time finding options and have only seen 3 different brands. Is that really all there is? Since most of them are just a standard tank size with the sump parts attached, they won't work, but I did find 1 that seems on paper like it would actually work. The aqueon proflex 1, but it is $180...

So then I think I should do without, but my equipment is driving me insane. I have a hang on refugium, but my tank has to sit close to the wall so it isn't a hang on back, it hangs on the side. It keeps getting run into and the water splashes everywhere and eventually it's going to break. I don't have a skimmer yet because along with the heaters and power heads, fuge and light there isn't room for much unless I want to put it on the front of the tank.

So I don't think no sump is the way to go, but I feel like I'm running in circles with these ideas.

Sorry if I rambled, I have a head cold too. Thanks

silverado61

The only thing I can think of is get a wider stand.

Post a pic of the whole setup. If we could "see" what your up against maybe we can come up with a better idea.

flower

If you really want a sump system... plug a power strip with a 6FT cord into the outlet behind the 10g before filling it or setting it up, that way the power strip can be mounted on the wall next to the tank, where it shouldn't get wet. You can access your power supply, and not have to worry about reaching behind the tank under the stand. Using a power strip also creates a wonderful emergency shut off, and you will have more then 2 outlets...most tanks need several power strips to run everything anyway.

seecrabrun

As much equipment as I have in the tank currently I actually have 2 power strips already plugged in. I thought about adding one between them and the outlet but I'm not comfortable with that setup.

Also they need to have the angled plug instead of a straight plug and it wouldn't be a problem, but one of them is a timer so it wouldn't be as easy to replace it.

Also I have a toddler and would not want him to have access to any of the tank's power. He loves to turn them off. I'd have to put the power above the actual tank which is not an option to me.

Last edited:

seecrabrun

Here's the picture with some measurements.
A 10g tank is about 2 inches too long for the space to avoid the plugs.
There is no space to move the cabinet over

Attachments

beaslbob

Look around for plastic storage containers that would fit in with the long dimension for and aft. With the aft part "sticking out" you can get a straight shot down for the drain.

Another good option is just to partition the tank using something like egg crate so that a small area is for macro algaes and the rest the fish.

my .02

Last edited:

flower

Hi,

It sounds like you may benefit from a master controller. It's a power strip with timers which would eliminate some of the stuff you have plugged in, and free up some space. Also they do make acrylic boxes with a lock to prevent little fingers from messing with stuff they shouldn't. I have 13 grandchildren so I understand about how they love to push buttons.