bamboo shark?

trigger40

anybody know what size tank a bamboo shark will need and how fast they grow? my brother wants one for my next tank but i dont know.

mauler

They grow about 12-14" the first year and then slow down and they get to 3'+ you should look at a coral catshark (Atelomycterus marmoratus) or a marbled catshark (Atelomycterus macleayi) they stay kinda small 24" or less

mauler

Yup you'd probably need like a 8-10'x4' tank just to watch him swim for like 2 hours a day at 3am the two sharks I just mentioned are actually some of the more active carpet sharks

trigger40

ok thanks do you know if they are peaceful like the bamboo shark. and i heard they dont do good with triggers, is this true?

mauler

I've seen people keep them in reef tanks with small fish but they are sharks so if they're hungry they might go after the small guys. It's not so much that the shark will hurt the trigger it's that the trigger might hurt the shark they sometimes peck there eyes out and nip fins but I think that completely depends on your triggers personality.

mauler

No problem and I personally think the coral and marbled catsharks look better than the bamboo and banded sharks

trigger40

i do to but the bamboo cat shark is the one my lfs sells so i might haft to do a little bribing to get the one i want.

mauler

True but I'm not sure what your lfs might want just to order it. I'm also curious what size is your next tank going to be?

mauler

You could probably get away with a coral or marbled catshark for a few years in a 125 but other people will say you need bigger while others will say even the 90 would be good since those sharks are found in reef caves and and they don't mind cramped spaces.

trigger40

You could probably get away with a coral or marbled catshark for a few years in a 125 but other people will say you need bigger while others will say even the 90 would be good since those sharks are found in reef caves and and they don't mind cramped spaces.
that is true. ther is a fish wher i live that likes to live in beer bottles even though they grow three times its size. i will keep the shark on the list for posible stock choices for my next tank.

mauler

Just ask them they should be able to get ahold of one for you. Do you know what kind of fish it is that likes to live in beer bottles.