Smaller place, bigger tank...My 200DD build

eric b 125

I started this hobby about 7 years ago with a 55 gallon FO with a SeaClone protein skimmer. It didn’t take long for me to loathe the dimensions of standard 55 gallon tanks. I soon upgraded to an undrilled 125 that went through it’s own progression of lights, powerheads, and various overflows (from two 700gph GlassHoles kits to a C2C w/ external BeanAnimal). A few years ago I had a tank crash and shortly after setting it up again I began to get annoyed with the 18” width of the tank…just not enough width for the length.

We recently decided to downsize from a 2 bedroom house to a smaller apartment. It’s just my girlfriend and me, and there was so much dead space in the house that just got filled up with stuff we never used. To make the move easier, we tossed out most of our furniture and bought new stuff. The apartment is on one of the cities most desirable streets, is constructed with poured concrete, and all utilities are included in the rent…oh yessss!

It’s not without its downsides, though. There is a perfect space for a Marineland 200 Deep Dimension, however the tank will be in the living area so it has to be as quiet as possible. Also, since I can’t have a remote equipment room and the apartment is small, everything has to fit under the stand (except CO2 bottle) since it won’t take much to make the living space look cluttered. I will be moving on Friday.

Equipment List… a lot of this stuff was lightly used on my 125

-Marineland 200 Deep Dimension (L overflow will be full siphon and open channel, R overflow will be emergency drain and return)

-Marineland Monterey Stand

-40B Sump/fuge

-20L Reservoir tank

-Two Reefbreeder Photon 32 LED fixtures

-Skimz Oval SV-203 skimmer

-Eheim Compact+5000 return pump (660-1320gph)

-Two 250w Jager heaters

-Two VorTech MP40w ES with battery backup

-PhosBan 550 GFO reactor

-Geo 618 Calcium reactor w/ Milwaukee pH controller

-Two MJ 1200 feed pumps for reactors, hoping to only need one

-Three American DJ power strips

-Kati/Ani 2

-200 lbs LR including 40lbs Marco Rock Prime Cuts

-160 lbs Carribsea Seaflor Special Grade Aragonite

QT tank:

-30B

-Red Sea Prism Pro Skimmer

-VorTech MP10w ES

-Two heaters

deejeff0442

Looks great. So another animal bean set up.how do you like it? I plan a 490 gallon with one.my wife wont put up with a loud tank in the living area again.is it going to be reef or fowlr?

eric b 125

Thanks deejeff! I haven't set the tank up (heck, I still haven't moved most of my fish-related equipment yet, lol) I loved my last BeanAnimal overflow. I will never have a tank without one. I will do whatever I have to for this set up to be as quiet as possible. I'm hoping that keeping the VorTechs on the back side of the tank will muffle their sound a bit. I'm aiming for a gyre on the horizontal axis.

The apt is coming together nicely. I brought over a little of my aquarium equipment last night and my GF said that I can use the hallway closet to store it all. I'm going to use it as my SW mixing room as well as storage...no more mixing buckets laying around the house for me! (I'm so pumped about this, lol) I have some errands to do today, and still some unpacking. I'll try and get some pics posted tonight to show you guys the space I'm working with

eric b 125

I'm sure glad your girlfriend gave you permission to use part of the closet. ;)
LOL. I know you're joking, but I'm really happy about it. I'm glad there won't be mixing buckets sitting around the apt.

I got around to picking up the hardware to hook the kati ani to my sink. I'm going to mix some water tonight and hopefully move the frag tank on wednesday.

eric b 125

Here is the wall that the tank will go on. The distance b/w the door frame and built-in book shelf is 54". (Obviously I'm not done unpacking yet, lol)

eric b 125

The SW mixing/equipment storage closet. I'm thinking I might build a shelf above the SW mixing bucket for a few 10g's. I'm considering the tank transfer method of QT, rather than doing hypo in the 30B. I just don't want a visible QT if I can avoid it...too much clutter.

eric b 125

Yesterday I managed to move and unpack some of my equipment. A lot of the small stuff is here but still boxed-up. Still have the sand and cooking rock at the other place, but won't move them until it's time to put them in the big tank. I will be moving the temporary frag tank today.
With the move, starting the new job, and class starting tomorrow I have my hands pretty full. I'm thinking this build will really jump off in two weeks... I need to give myself some time to fall into my schedule before starting this project.

eric b 125

Got the temporary 30B set up. I just threw it together after moving it and don't plan on setting it up any differently since it's going to be taken down in two weeks. It's got a Red Sea Prism Pro skimmer, a few heaters, a MP10wES and a Reef Breeders Photon 32. Need to mix a little more saltwater to get the skimmer going, though.

eric b 125

Went out yesterday to compare some LFS's prices on the tank and stand. The prices I got were a few hundred less than what I was quoted a few months ago when I started considering this build. Tank should be here next week. Now it's time to order the skimmer, return pump, and glass for baffles.

eric b 125

good deal. mind if i tag along with the build.
I'll need all the help I can get. One thing my old 125 gallon taught me was to set up a tank the right way the first time around. I've put a lot of thought into this build over the last several months but we all know things rarely go as planned. I have a very full schedule, so now I'm coming up with an attack plan with how to approach the build.

One problem I'm running into is whether to hang the light fixtures front to back or side to side. I'm going to shoot Logan at Reef Breeders an e-mail to see what he thinks.

On a side note: for those of you that have known me for a while might remember that I had to put my dog down in April. The time has come to get a new dog, and I'm putting a deposit down on a new Bull Terrier litter later this week...as long as I can convince my GF (I'll be waiting for Seth to make fun of me on this one) that Bull Terriers are "cute" dogs.

trigger40

well seeing the 4th pic i can tell you making shur your ready lol. i couldnt imagine putting my dog down, sorry about that. I'm not a reef guy i just like builds... but if it helps i like the look of side to side better than front to back.

eric b 125

I would prefer to hang them side to side, but to avoid having to upgrade lights that I just got in January (and haven't really been able to use) I think I'm going to have to run them front to back. I thought about upgrading to two Photon 48's, but if the ones I have work by hanging them front to back, then that's what I'll do. Plus, if I use 1" electrical conduit for the hanging trees, I will be able to swing the fixtures out of the way for maintenance/coral placement.

According to Logan, hanging them perpendicular to the tank (front-to-back) is the way to go.

trigger40

haha it dosent sound like you have much of a choice. but if it works and you dont haft to buy a new light its the bests option!

eric b 125

Love those DD tanks.....I'm looking forewarn to watching the build!
Thanks man! I'm pretty excited about it myself. My interest in this hobby tends to wax and wane, usually with the seasons. Honestly, I'm not as pumped about this as I would be if it was later in the year, but I know that I'll be happy to have it up and running for the frag swaps. I'm just so swamped with work and school, right now. An hour or so a week for maintenance is a lot different than setting up a proper reef tank, ya know? As new toys are about to come in, I can feel it starting to bubble, though...

Finally got around to unloading the 40B sump tank from the back of my car

eric b 125

Tank delivery will be on Thursday. Smoked glass baffles for sump will be done on Wednesday. It's going to be a plumbing-filled weekend!

eric b 125

Baffles have arrived. Will start siliconing them in tomorrow. There is a little more room b/w them and the side of the sump than I would like, but I'm sure with a careful siliconing job they'll be fine.