achilles tang

geridoc

I've been reading that the hippo tang isn't really aggressive and that tangs are usually fine with triggers
Not in my experience. Years ago I added an achilles tang (before I knew what I know now) to a 55 gallon tank that already had a small niger trigger in it. In about 30 seconds the trigger entered the right side of the tang and emerged from the left side. The most expensive 30 seconds of my life.

trigger40

yep that sounds like a trigger to me. they are very inteligent fish that will bite on the same spot of the fish to increase damage. if you get the trigger add it last.

mauler

Yep he's by far one of the best fish I've ever kept he's got such amazing personality and he honestly very well behaved I don't know if he's still to small to be the killer everyone says triggers are or what

trigger40

you know its the strangest things that will set off a trigger. my trigger fish is set off by fish with big paches of the same color. but the good thing about the humu humu is that it doesnt become a serial killer in a few years it stays the same for its entire life. the down side about them is that they grow annoyingly slow. if well fed(do not underfeed it, it will live a shorter life if you do) it will grow bout half an inch a year untill they reach about 5'', then they slow down even more! but they are tough fish and fun to have. ther personalitys are all different. they will even let you pet them.

mauler

Mine doesn't seem to care about anyone untill there's food in the water. Well that's good I thought they grew up and killed other fish for fun. I feed him 3 times a day and he still begs for food. I know mine loves getting his nose rubbed

trigger40

thats awsome. they do love ther food. ther like bottomless pits when it comes to food. but when you give to them they will love you death.

mauler

Mine gets mad if I don't feed him when hungry. He knows I pet him right before dinner and if I don't give him the food after a minute or two he'll bite me.

mauler

Also my lfs has Achilles tang they've had him for a little over a week he got icy pretty bad but now he looks really good the only thing is he might not be eating they tried feeding but he just kept spitting it out could it be he didn't like the food? He wasn't hungry at that time? Or what he is interested in food he just didn't eat it. I have him on hold till they close tomorrow since I can only do a 24 hour hold I just wanted to know if I should risk taking him?

mauler

Could it also be that in the 9 days they've had himhe's been in atleast 3 different tanks?

jay0705

Doesn't help, but getting wild fish to eat captive food can be a huge issue. A copper banded butterfly is a prime example. If it wont eat dont buy it.

mauler

I'll see if he eats tomorrow but he is interested in food so maybe he doesn't like what there feeding him

Jen2828

Is he chunky or skinny? If he's really skinny you're probably fighting a losing battle taking him. Starting with a decent Achilles is half the battle...it took mine about a day until he started eating nori and flakes.

mauler

He's in the middle he's not horribly skinny but he's not exactly fat. He's about 3" and very active I spent about 30 minutes just watching him swim

mauler

I'm on the fence since this is the first one I've seen them get in like a year and I love Achilles tangs to death but I don't want to be responsible for it's death but I could also save him