Can anyone help with a snail issue?

Becky46

I added a snail to my tank about 2 weeks ago. Honestly, I can't remember exactly what type of snail it is, but it has the cone shap and is probably about 1.5 inches in size. He seems to have been fine up until yesterday when I noticed him laying on the bottom of the tank, not attached to anything. I thought that was odd because so far he's always been attached to the side of the tank, or a rock, something. I checked him again a couple of hours later, still in the same spot, not moving. When I picked him up to check on him, he looks odd - I can't explain it very good. At first I thought one of my smaller snails had somehow fallen into the shell opening on the larger one, but at closer look I can tell that's not the case. I didn't think to take a picture of it, but I searched online and found a picture that is basically what he looks like. However, that site didn't say what was wrong, it was just found in images. The shell on mine isn't shaped like the one in the pic, but the snail itself looks like the one in the pic attached...withdrawn into his shell, and kinda rubbery looking. Is this normal? Is something wrong with it? He's been like this for almost 24 hours now.
snail_17.jpg

Becky46

I've been at work all day today, so I can't say for sure within the past 8 hours or so. But last night from around 7:00 pm until this morning he didn't appear to have moved at all.

candaceswf

Administrator
They can close up like that for days. The "shell" you thought was inside of it is called an operculum. It's like a door for the snail, that they use to close themselves inside their shells. If they can't close that it means they're dead. Does it have enough algae to graze on? if you have any seaweed sheets you can put that in there to try to entice it, or rub it between your fingers under the water so it breaks up.

bang guy

The timing would indicate it was not starvation, that takes a bit longer.

If it was a predator there wouldn't be much snail left.

Possible causes are:
Osmotic shock (most likely)
Copper poisoning (fairly common)
Low Salinity (fairly common)
Incompatible temperature (need to know your temp & species of the snail)
CO2 poisoning (rare)
Iodine poisoning (rare)

Becky46

Thanks for the info, I appreciate all I can get. I'm a newbie with salt water tanks, and this is my first snail. I'm due for a partial water change, and I'll investigate the water in general. Since I'm new to it, maybe I should take some in to be tested rather than relying on my own ability.

bang guy

I would actually suggest the opposite. Get a good set of test kits and learn to use them accurately. If you can post some numbers it would help.

Salinity - A refractometer is the most convenient for a moderate price - a salinity meter is very quick & accurate but pricey - swing arm is cheap but needs constant cleaning and a salinity/temperature chart to determine salinity - same with a floating hydrometer.

Thermometer - the stick ons are cheap and accurate enough - temp probes are very accurate & moderately prices as well as being able to maintain a history,

PH - test kits are good the probes are pricey but many can provide a history which is good.

Ammonia - useful to diagnose problems

Nitrate - something to monitor weekly so it doesn't get out of hand

Calcium - needs to be monitored to stay in range

Alkalinity - needs to be monitored to stay in range

Magnesium - needs to be monitored to stay in range

Nitrite - only useful to determine if there is a biological filtration issue (rare)

flower

I added a snail to my tank about 2 weeks ago. Honestly, I can't remember exactly what type of snail it is, but it has the cone shap and is probably about 1.5 inches in size. He seems to have been fine up until yesterday when I noticed him laying on the bottom of the tank, not attached to anything. I thought that was odd because so far he's always been attached to the side of the tank, or a rock, something. I checked him again a couple of hours later, still in the same spot, not moving. When I picked him up to check on him, he looks odd - I can't explain it very good. At first I thought one of my smaller snails had somehow fallen into the shell opening on the larger one, but at closer look I can tell that's not the case. I didn't think to take a picture of it, but I searched online and found a picture that is basically what he looks like. However, that site didn't say what was wrong, it was just found in images. The shell on mine isn't shaped like the one in the pic, but the snail itself looks like the one in the pic attached...withdrawn into his shell, and kinda rubbery looking. Is this normal? Is something wrong with it? He's been like this for almost 24 hours now. View attachment 245

The picture looks like it has tunicates all over it. Does it hurt the snail...I have no idea. However anytime you touch a critter like a snail or starfish...they play dead.

flower

Those are Barnacles ;)
Thanks Bang Guy! They looked like little sea squirts to me, I never heard of barnacles. I looked them up, and now I learned something new. That's why I love this hobby, it never gets old, there is always something new to discover. It's like I'm a young person again discovering stuff.

silverado61

Barnacles can grow anywhere, on anything really.
They don't live long in your tank though.
They usually starve.

Last edited:

Becky46

I really appreciate all the information. Bang Guy - thank you so much for all of that, it's a big help! I'm learning so much from these forums. I'm sad to report that my snail was indeed dead :(. I'm not adding anything new to my tank until I get everything checked out. You guys will probably be seeing alot of me with alot of questions. In the short time I've had my tank, I've already realized that I can learn much more from you all than I can learn from the guys at the pet store. Well, I can't say that about all of them, there did seem to be at least 1 who was fairly knowledgeable. But he's not always working.