rock work

mauler

I think my tank looks a little bland with just a line of rocks in the middle I'm curious how people make those elaborate arch ways, hangovers and caves.

mauler

What do you mean by hand pick them? They sell rock already like that? Also what do you mean by take chances?

silverado61

Some hobbyists are lucky enough to have a LFS that sells live rock so they can hand pick which ones they want. Some take their chances and order it on line and hope for the best.

mauler

Oh ok so you have to place them that way. I hand picked most of my rock buy I still can't get them to into those crazy formations I'm guessing you need some kind of glue?

1guydude

Hi mauler,
I'm gonna tell u the same way I was taught a cpl yrs ago or so.

Yes some of us are lucky enough to have a lfs or cpl lfs that order 1000#s of dry rock and u can shift through it... Shelf rock is good too.

Take the measurements of ur tank. Go out to ur garage or even a sidewalk and tape down the measurements. Than play with wat rock u have. Take ur time, u can also use a roto drill hammer bit... Or reg big drill bit. Drill holes and large zip tie em together.
Go minimal with a cpl larger rocks rather than a pile of smalle ones.
Hths
D

silverado61

There are many, many ways of doing it. Glue is only one of them. People have used chewing gum of all things. Pond foam is another. You can drill the rock and use plastic rods to keep them in place. Two part epoxy. The list goes on. Some of those crazy formations you see are DIY rock.

mauler

Chewing gum lol I don't see that lasting. But which way would work the best or rather the fastest since I'm guessing you'd have to pull the rock out of the water to do any of those methods.
Hi mauler,
I'm gonna tell u the same way I was taught a cpl yrs ago or so.

Yes some of us are lucky enough to have a lfs or cpl lfs that order 1000#s of dry rock and u can shift through it... Shelf rock is good too.

Take the measurements of ur tank. Go out to ur garage or even a sidewalk and tape down the measurements. Than play with wat rock u have. Take ur time, u can also use a roto drill hammer bit... Or reg big drill bit. Drill holes and large zip tie em together.
Go minimal with a cpl larger rocks rather than a pile of smalle ones.
Hths
D
I'd do it that way but I'm planning to use some of my fully cured live rock and I don't want it to dry out but I might just buy all new rock if thats easier.

1guydude

I'd get some dry stuff if u can... Maybe some buckets of sw for ur live stuff... U deff don't want ur LR out too much.
The large zip ties at the hardware store work pretty good. Ull prob only need one pack. Just gotta hide em with another piece of rock if that makes sense. Good luck! Post pix before and after!
D

silverado61

If you use a cordless drill, a long masonry bit, keep the rock below the surface and drill slow so you don't heat the rock you can do it in the tank. Patience and going slow are the key.

silverado61

Two littles fishes sells an epoxy you can use under water. You don't really have to glue it. Just make sure it locks into place.

mauler

I've tried locking them but they don't stay locked so I might just buy dry base rock and make one formation every few weeks

flower

I've tried locking them but they don't stay locked so I might just buy dry base rock and make one formation every few weeks
Sometimes you have to turn the rock and twist it a little...wiggle and turn it again to maybe another spot until they lock, it takes time, you can't rush, and you can't insist the pretty blue be where you want it. It took me an hour one time to hang on the side of the tank messing with the rock before I got it to finally get into place, but once I got it, man it was not going to move... Point is...keep at it and don't give up, it will lock.

jay0705

Snake, gave me a link where u can mix your own rock out of crushed coral and epoxy. Make any shape you want it into. My fish love it, bc its halfmoon and cave like. This was before the new forum so I dont have the link any more

jay0705

Once I get home yea I will. All it is , is crushed coral and a water/fish safe epoxy. Its takes alot of mixing but turns out cool

flower

You might look into making your own fake rock background wall too, it saves space and looks awesome.