Mini reef tank

candaceswf

Administrator
I have an 8 gallon tank cycling now, and I'm trying to decide which way to go with it. I haven't purchased a light yet, but I am most likely going to go with the Coralife Mini Aqualight T5. I would really love to do a reef tank: SPS, LPS, a fish or two, and a few inverts. Any ideas?

candaceswf

Administrator
I've read some reviews on the light, and supposedly most people were pretty successful with it. I haven't used anything from Coralife, so I don't have much to base it off of. What do you think about SPS in an 8 gal?

flower

Back in the day Coralife was a good brand...they went bankrupt and sold out...Now the only equipment left to purchase, is the stuff they didn't sell. I personally stay away from anything Coralife, I have had nothing but garbage with everything I ever purchased with that brand name after they sold out...

flower

For an 8g tank...get a satellite LED that clips right on the tank. You can put SPS frags in it...but keeping such a tiny tank stable will be quite difficult, and SPS needs pristine water conditions, and the smaller the tank the harder it is to keep....

candaceswf

Administrator
Good to know.... I'll have to look into the satellite LED's a bit more. I figured I would challenge myself with a smaller set up, if I can do well with this then an 80 gallon would be cakes and pies

bang guy

I've read some reviews on the light, and supposedly most people were pretty successful with it. I haven't used anything from Coralife, so I don't have much to base it off of. What do you think about SPS in an 8 gal?
I think if you are very careful picking your coral SPS can work. It's not an easy beginner type exercise though. I've done select SPS in a 10 gallon. It works but there is absolutely no margin for error.

snakeblitz33

I have a 2.5g on autopilot right now that needs a lot of work. I have an algae scrubber on it that is powering the tank right now. I think it would be successful if I put a lot more time in it.

Bang is correct though, it's possible if you cherry pick which sps corals you want to put in the tank. Also, I would nix the idea of a fish in it and go for a shrimp. MAYBE a yellow watchman goby or a neon goby - but as stated earlier, SPS need pristine, stable conditions.

Best of luck!

flower

Good to know.... I'll have to look into the satellite LED's a bit more. I figured I would challenge myself with a smaller set up, if I can do well with this then an 80 gallon would be cakes and pies
Hi,

LOL...Actually, the larger the tank the easier it is to keep. Yes an 80g will be cakes and pies...because tiny tanks are expert only setups.

candaceswf

Administrator
I agree, I'll keep the fish in the other tanks. I'm not an expert by any means, I just meant that by doing well with a small tank, it would make a large tank that is already relatively easy, even easier.

candaceswf

Administrator
After doing some research, the coralife I was looking into is definitely not going to be what I get, most reviews said they broke after just a few weeks :(
I am seriously considering getting 1 or 2 of the ecoxotic stunners for the 8g. Great reviews, not extremely expensive, they come in 9 different colors, and I could hook up to 6 together. Only thing is that I would have to make a canopy to attach the light(s) to, nbd though bc I'm actually really excited at the thought of a new project.

Does anyone have any experience with the ecoxotic stunners, or ecoxotic in general?

flower

After doing some research, the coralife I was looking into is definitely not going to be what I get, most reviews said they broke after just a few weeks :(
I am seriously considering getting 1 or 2 of the ecoxotic stunners for the 8g. Great reviews, not extremely expensive, they come in 9 different colors, and I could hook up to 6 together. Only thing is that I would have to make a canopy to attach the light(s) to, nbd though bc I'm actually really excited at the thought of a new project.

Does anyone have any experience with the ecoxotic stunners, or ecoxotic in general?
LOL...I HATE all things Coralife. They went out of business, years ago they were great, but no more. What is being sold now, is the equipment that had been returned and "fixed" or had some other flaw. So if it has the Coralife logo, I stay clear of it. I have had, master controllers, MH lighting system, and a skimmer....all garbage.

candaceswf

Administrator
Ya, almost all of the reviews were terrible, so I'm staying clear as well lol. Have you ever made your own canopy for a tank, or know anyone on here who has? The idea I have is quite simple, the only point I'm really getting stuck at is how I'm going to protect the LED's.

bang guy

I've made a couple canopies. As far as protecting the LEDs a thin piece of plexiglass is cheap and easy to clean. They just need to be replaced annually because the small scratches eventually degrade the amount of light. A piece of tempered glass will also work and will last for years.

I've even stuck microwaveable plastic wrap across the bottom of lights. You can't clean it but it doesn't degrade the light and you just replace it once in a while instead of clean it.

flower

+1 with Bang Guys suggestions. My unit has a protective glass already in place, I wipe it down when the salt creep crusts it up (about 1X a week). I use an air line because I keep seahorses and that causes splash, which causes salt creep.