Cephalopods in a refugium

geridoc

I currently have a 220 gallon FOWLR tank that is 2 years old. I am fed up with the small, cramped sump under the tank, and am embarking on converting a spare 110 gallon tank into a sump that will be located in the basement. I am looking at the tank, and I realize that the central portion of the tank, which will probably be 70 gallons or so, will be largely empty. I have a connection with a cephalopod breeder who can give me a pair of cuttlefish juveniles that would fit nicely in this empty center area of the sump. The current plan is to have a large skimmer downstream of the 'pod area to protect the DT in the event one of the animals inks, but otherwise, my concern is "am I nuts?" Is this plan viable?

jay0705

Why not. Cuddle fish are not that common but I would think 70 gal is plenty, as long as there is no toxins or such they could release in your system

flower

LOL..My dear friend...we are all nuts on this site, or we wouldn't be into saltwater tanks as a "relaxing" hobby. If anyone can do cuttlefish, you can.

geridoc

Flower - thanks for the vote of confidence. I think we will have the cuttles in place by mid winter. I'll post some pictures when they are in.

geridoc

You have many, many more years of experience in this hobby than most of us combined and your asking us? :confused:
As an individual I do have lots of experience, but the combined experience and wisdom on this site is awesome so I thought I would check and see if anyone had any experience with cuttles. I guess in a year I'll be the experienced one :)