worms? or scratch?

mauler

My Achilles tang has a thin white line on the base of his tail by his scalpel. But it doesn't look like it's hanging off him and on his red dot you can see it continue but it looks like it's under the skin. Any ideas

bang guy

It looks like some type of irritation of it's lateral line. Nothing I can say beyond that. Maybe Beth has some ideas.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I agree with Bang Guy, but the pic is not very clear. You will want to keep an eye out since it may be the beginnings of Head and Lateral Line Erosion--a disease for which tangs are prone.

Also, it is definitely not a worm. Perhaps if you can get a much better picture posted....

mauler

So it hasn't gotten any better so I'm not so sure it's a scratch and if it was a worm wouldn't it have spread by now?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Are those little white specs actually spots on the fish? How many other fish do you have? Do you have a quarantine tank?

mauler

No that's sand that got caught in the net with him. I have two other fish a hippo tang and Picasso trigger. I just took my QT down.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Somes tangs will wedge into rocks pretty good and scratch themselves up. Does your's do that?

mauler

The hippo yes but I've never seen the Achilles do that and if was a scratch wouldn't it be healed by now?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Now, not necessarily. It may be a scar at this point.

Has it gotten worse, is it read bloody, irritated?

mauler

It's not bloody and he doesn't even seem to notice he has it but it's appearance hasn't changed really at all.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I would keep an eye out for possible development of HLLE, otherwise, if the fish stays healthy, then its just a scar. That area can be vulnerable however, so it will be something you will want to be looking out for.