Switching from Leds to T5...

asbury030

Well to start off I have a mixed reef 20g high. Been running for just about a year. I bought the ecoxotic panorama LED light along with the 445 blue LEDs so overall about 50 watts of leds. I am not happy at all with the color, seems to washed out and I don't think my coral are to happy with it either. I was thinking to switching to T5s and was thinking about going with the aquaticlife 4 lamp 98 watts or 6 lamp 146 watts. Would the 4 lamp be enough for my rose tip anemone and would the 6 lamp be to overkill? I would like to go with the 6 lamp but wanted your guys opinion on this before I made the move.

flower

Hi,

T5Ho isn't strong enough for an anemone, or SPS corals. The T5 unit you mentioned would be good enough for LPS (at the top of the tank) and soft corals. Next issue, a 20g tank isn't suited for an anemone either. They are natural fish killers, and in a 20g tank, the fish have no place to get away from it. Small ones get large fast when they are well fed.

I am no expert on LED fixtures, but I do know they are not all created equal. You need to post your light needs (corals and critters you want to keep) and let those who do understand LEDs, explain just what fixture you need to purchase. There are LED fixtures that can keep an anemone, and SPS corals alive and happy, but they are not cheap.

flower

Anemones and SPS absolutely can be kept under T5HO lighting.
I tried it...they only make it for a short time, then the anemone begins to suffer from the lack of light. I never did SPS corals, but if a light can't support an anemone, it can't support SPS corals. If you have managed to keep an anemone for over a year under those lights, please tell us about it.

eric b 125

Just because it didn't work for you does not mean it's not possible. Saying that it's not possible without saying, "Based on my experience" is misleading. Also misleading is your comment about if a light can't support an anemone, it can't support SPS corals. Not only are different species of SPS corals found in different environments in the wild, but many are very adaptable while others are not (http://coral.aims.gov.au/info/factsheets.jsp).
I've only used MH/T5 and LED lighting on my tanks. However, I have several friends in my reef club that keep anemones and SPS under T5HO lighting. The first tank that comes to mind is under an ATI Powermodule fixture and his RBTA has been splitting for the last year.
You're right that not all LED fixtures are created equal. Just like not all MH or T5HO fixtures are created equal.

flower

Just because it didn't work for you does not mean it's not possible. Saying that it's not possible without saying, "Based on my experience" is misleading. Also misleading is your comment about if a light can't support an anemone, it can't support SPS corals. Not only are different species of SPS corals found in different environments in the wild, but many are very adaptable while others are not (http://coral.aims.gov.au/info/factsheets.jsp).
I've only used MH/T5 and LED lighting on my tanks. However, I have several friends in my reef club that keep anemones and SPS under T5HO lighting. The first tank that comes to mind is under an ATI Powermodule fixture and his RBTA has been splitting for the last year.
You're right that not all LED fixtures are created equal. Just like not all MH or T5HO fixtures are created equal.
Wow, I sure managed to get your undies in a bunch. I'm pretty sure enough T5HO bulbs such as T8 would be enough for anemones and SPS corals. I don't intend to be misleading, I'm sure glad a fellow like yourself who knows it all, has decided to join the site and set us all straight. Thanks. Oh and welcome to the site!

eric b 125

Flower, I have been a member of this site since 2009. My info got deleted when the site was updated. Whether I'm new or not, that doesn't change the fact that you very well can keep SPS and anemones under T5HO lighting. Post count should not be confused with experience or the ability to entertain other people's experience. I never claimed to know it all, which is why I added a link to a credible source.

flower

Flower, I have been a member of this site since 2009. My info got deleted when the site was updated. Whether I'm new or not, that doesn't change the fact that you very well can keep SPS and anemones under T5HO lighting. Post count should not be confused with experience or the ability to entertain other people's experience. I never claimed to know it all, which is why I added a link to a credible source.
Hi,

I was in a nasty mood this morning, you didn't say anything out of line. I'm sorry. You didn't deserve my nasty mean comments....I'm glad you weren't new, that certainly wasn't a nice way to welcome somebody to the site...it would have been a good way to loose a new member. I got back on here hoping nobody seen the post so I could delete it. Too late, I deserve a beating with a wet noodle.

On a more positive note, more to the proper way to respond to the thread...
I thought it was Bang guy (I could be wrong, my memory isn't so hot on who says what) who said SPS corals and anemones needed the same intense lighting. I don't believe the two daylight bulbed T5HO unit with two actinic, that the original poster was asking about, is strong enough for an anemone or SPS corals. BECAUSE... I had 3 white 10000K bulbs and 3 actinic (3 linked T5HO units), I even switched out one actinic bulb and added another 10000K, and it still wasn't enough lighting for an anemone. I have never kept SPS corals.

eric b 125

SPS and anemones do need intense lighting. A quality T5HO fixture with good reflectors can, and do, provide that kind of lighting.

OP: I'm not familiar with your LED's. I've been using a ReefBreeders Photon 32 over a 30B frag tank for the last few months and once I worked out some water quality issues, my SPS frags are doing great. The only thing I'm not too happy with is that LED's make taking good pictures difficult for me. But just like with everything else, there is a solution to that. Check out the ATI Powermodules...they are awesome fixtures.

gemmy

The six bulb fixture might be a little over kill for your size tank. However, it might be perfect. I know not a very exact answer but I will explain. Get the six bulb fixture, but only run 4 bulbs. Also, put some window screen on your tank to help prevent the creatures in your tank from going into light shock. Slowly, over the span of a couple of weeks remove the layers of screen. If it seems like the tank needs more light, add the other two bulbs.

eric b 125

The six bulb fixture might be a little over kill for your size tank. However, it might be perfect. I know not a very exact answer but I will explain. Get the six bulb fixture, but only run 4 bulbs. Also, put some window screen on your tank to help prevent the creatures in your tank from going into light shock. Slowly, over the span of a couple of weeks remove the layers of screen. If it seems like the tank needs more light, add the other two bulbs.
+1

bang guy

A key advantage of T5 is only realized with high quality reflectors. If you're going to go with run of the mill reflectors then you might as well go T12.