how much live stock can be safely added?

whysohigh

For the last 6 years I've maintained my 75 gallon very well, I'm nearing the end of my 180 gallon build, nitrites are almost back to zero and I already have snails, crabs and micro stars thriving. I'm getting ready to add all my fish and coral and the only answer I get when I ask how much I can safely add from the 75 to the 180 is "not too much" or "just go slow" which is less than helpful. I have a large 12"+ across green carpet anemone, huge colonies of zoas, massive trumpet/candy canes, lots of digitata, damicornis, galaxy, frog spawn, about 20lbs of rock in 5lb chunks and a few random frags and fish. Any input is appreciated.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by whysohigh http:///t/397492/how-much-live-stock-can-be-safely-added#post_3542920
For the last 6 years I've maintained my 75 gallon very well, I'm nearing the end of my 180 gallon build, nitrites are almost back to zero and I already have snails, crabs and micro stars thriving. I'm getting ready to add all my fish and coral and the only answer I get when I ask how much I can safely add from the 75 to the 180 is "not too much" or "just go slow" which is less than helpful. I have a large 12"+ across green carpet anemone, huge colonies of zoas, massive trumpet/candy canes, lots of digitata, damicornis, galaxy, frog spawn, about 20lbs of rock in 5lb chunks and a few random frags and fish. Any input is appreciated.
Hi,

ALL of the live rock from your maintained 75g is usable 100%...it's cured already. The new rock if it's cured already, you can also use...IF the new rock is not cured...THEN you have to cure it before use in a separate tub with a power head, or cycle the new tank with it.

whysohigh

The rock and curing are things I already am knowledgeable on, what I'm trying to decide is how much coral i can safely add in one day and how long in between adding handfuls of coral.

bang guy

Coral has a fairly low bioload so there should be no issue with adding all of your coral at once.

Fish on the other hand need sufficient bacteria to handle their waste. It takes some time for these bacteria to adjust to increased bioload so the best answer will be "go slow" as you've already heard. Because of the large variations from tank to tank I can't think of a better answer. If it were me I would add them one at a time and never add a fish when there is an ammonia reading.

whysohigh

Thank you, so as long as I'm getting a zero ammonia reading my plan is about half my coral one day, give everything a day to settle, then the other half of the coral the day after. Same with the fish, once the tank has sat for a day I'll add 1 fish, wait a day, add a fish, continue with that testing levels along the way until done. Does this sound safely reasonable?

great ! I just upgrade from a 55 gal to a 185 gal . I first let my dead rock cycle in the 185 and when that was done I put all my live rock, fish , coral , and water except the sand form my 55 gal to the new tank everything did great . my tangs only had a little ick bloom due to stress but now are looking great

dangerfish

great job and plus this will be great help after some years with my 75g tank im starting up ill make sure ill remember this forum.