FIRST SALT WATER TANK (40GAL), A LOT OF QUESTIONS!

Mikey09

Hi, my names Mike. I just started buying the components for my first saltwater tank. I have done a lot of research but still have many questions. Would love to meet some people to help me along the way.

So far this is what I have invested in:
-40 gal tall tank with stand
-Fluval C4 Filter
-CPR Aquatics BAK PAK 2R+ Protein Skimmer
-TWO Hydor 425gph heads
-Fluval 200W Heater
-No name 50W Heater (Plan to put in a separate bucket to prep water changes)
-Salinity Refractometer
-Refractometer Calibration Fluid
-SeaChem Amonia Alert
-Instant Ocean Sea Salt (200gals)
-Tetra Safe Start 100mL
-SeaChem Prime 500mL
-Tetra Easy Balance Plus 500mL

From my knowledge, the last items I need to get are: live rock, live sand, water parameter testing kit or strips.

I wanted to go the route of buying about 30-35 lbs of dry rock and then get the other 5-10lbs of live rock from my LFS. As for live sand, I would like to avoid changing the substrate so I wanted to use the absolute minimum amount.

Also, I need some advice on testing the water. I have read up on the biological cycle. But would like to get some input on this subject.

Any help at all is welcome.

THANKS!

mauler

You should get a bigger tank if you can but if not go with a 40g breeder instead of a tall so there's more foot print. Forget the prime treated tap water still isnt good enough get your self a RO/DI unit. You don't really need the skimmer unless your going for a reef. Your perfectly fine only buying 5lbs of live rock and the rest dry. Your gonna want atleast a 1-2" deep sand bed. For test kits don't get strips those are worthlessand don't get API either I hear they aren't to accurate. And by biological cycle I'm assuming you mean nitrogen cycle once you get water in the tank you'll need an ammonia source to start it so you can ghost feed or just put a shrimp in there some people even use pure ammonia but after that you test for ammonia once that goes to 0 check for nitrites once those go to 0 check nitrate and then you can add fish slowly.
Also your not allowed to post links to other stores.
Sorry for the long post I hope it helps.

Last edited:

flower

Hi,

Welcome to the site. No, it isn't allowed to post a link to another site...but every single one of us did so in the beginning. LOL...So you are forgiven, but edit the post ASAP before a moderator sees it.

The simplest way to explain the nitrogen cycle.
Stage 1. ammonia is introduced into the tank water...Please do not use a live fish...a chunk of raw shrimp, pure ammonia or ghost feed an invisible fish.
Stage 2. good bacteria develops and feeds on the ammonia, called nitrites.
Stage 3. better bacteria develops and feeds on the nitrites, called nitrates.
Stage 4. the nitrates become a harmless gas and evaporates from the water.

Our nitrates develop much faster in a fish tank, then the ocean...we can't keep up to allow it to become a harmless gas, so we swap out the water and replace it with new mixed saltwater...called a water change.

You most likely know this, but just in case...Important note: Water evaporates but the salt does not, so each night (once a day) we replace the water that has evaporated, with freshwater to bring the water line back to the original point to maintain the SG.

Ammonia test strips are fine to use... ONLY AMMONIA. That's because it's fast and cheap, it doesn't matter the number, any ammonia means trouble. However you need the lab type kits for keeping SW tanks, because you need to know the exact numbers, which test strips do not give.

Tap water or well water, it won't matter if you put in it a chemical to "make it safe", it's not fit for any fish tank, fresh or salt. Go to a Super Walmart, or large grocery store where they have a refill water station, it's reverse osmosis water (RO). Water quality is the single most important thing for keeping healthy fish tanks, this is not the place to skimp or cut corners. Get your own unit, buy it from the store, or rent a unit from Culligan ... but do not use tap or well water. I don't care how many people say you can get away with it...don't do it.

jay0705

If we took am anyomous poll, I would bet more people use treated tap than we think. Tap varies greatly I agree, however not all tap is bad.