Creating new 90G saltwater setup - Please advise:

xaflatoonx

i really would like to request you guys to copy this forum's page link and save it in your favorites.. LOL

that way you can visit often - since i will be asking a lot of questions. :)

you guys are awesome!

flower

my good friend... the game has changed... we are now going to have a set up in a 90 gallon tank! wooot wooot!

Awesome! I also have a 90g (for many years now), you will be much happier with that size then a 37g. At this time I'm using 2 HOB filters for it, I used to use canisters, and then a sump system. I had replaced the canisters with the sump, but after few years the sump leaked and had to be removed, so I opted for 2 C4 Fluval HOBs. Unless you are going for corals, you won't really need a skimmer.

If you can manage it, a sump system would be the best option, the equipment can be hidden under the stand in the sump, and when it comes to skimmers, in-sump type is always better, and prevents overflow leaks, and micro-bubbles. Over the years I have had nothing but grief with HOB skimmers, the Octopus in-sump skimmer was the best and most care free I ever found.

flower

The first one has bio-balls. Thing of the past. The second one looks better.
BTW a refuge is the filtration system.
Hi,

I didn't follow the links to look at what sumps that is being discussed.....A refugium is not a filter system, it's just a safe place for the little sea bugs and macroalgae to grow and populate, undisturbed by the gobblers of all things tiny or eatable, your fish.

A sump with an in-sump skimmer, a sock to catch big floating stuff, and your live rock is the filtration system. A place to add carbon or phosban is always a plus.

flower

who
You put live rock and macro in a fuge. Unless I misread all my research, that makes it a natural filtration system.
The sump area is for mechanical filtration. Skimmer, reactors, return pump, and so on.

But, maybe Sprung, Delbeek and Moe are all wrong.
The critters in the live rock, and macro's are indeed "natural filters"...but so are the little pineapple sponges, fan worms and bivales....but that is not the purpose of a refugium...live rock (with all the cool little critters) and macro's can stay in the display tank, so a refugium is not considered a "filter". The fish will eat your macro's and they will deplete the pod population, so we put them on a refugium to keep them safe from the goblins...

I make the distinction between 'filter" and "refugium" for new beginners to understand a little better. I don't know how many times I read a person who has a mean fish, then puts a fish in the refugium to keep them from fighting...if they do that, it isn't a refugium anymore...although there is still plenty enough natural critters to not harm the "natural" filtration.

Last edited:

xaflatoonx

Thanks flower - Appreciate you chiming in.

Definitely plan on keeping corals. So that means i am definitely gonna need a skimmer.
Question is which one do you think is better?

i am also gonna need some guidance on designing the sump with that skimmer. Could you please take a look at the links for the skimmers i posted above.
Also if you you get a chance to see the two sumps i posted -

that way i know atleast i am purchasing the right euqipment and dont end up buying something that doesnt go together.