My 7g Office Nano

novahobbies

What is it about Linckias? My Blue Linckia spends most of his time in the front corner of my 110g tank on the glass, with one leg sort of "reverse surfing" the underside of the water surface. He goes for walkabouts from time to time, but I'd say 75% of his time is in that one spot on the glass. Great animal...had him about 8 months now.

Last edited:

novahobbies

On another note......say hello to my little friend(s)!

There is a net top in place, and you can see that I found some really open-cell foam to block off the overflow entrance.

candaceswf

Administrator
I'm not sure exactly, my thought is that they like the more oxygenated water... maybe.... I love the blue linckia though! Definitely on my "for the future" list lol.

They look awesome!! Perfect for the nano. Good work with the net top, I had a firefish jump right at me before haha.

candaceswf

Administrator
OOH! I did get a little blue tuxedo urchin yesterday and it looked like it was spawning! It was excreting a milky white substance and I asked some people here about it and they said when the urchins are stressed their first thought is to reproduce. There were some little black/brown dots that almost looked like sand when I was acclimating it, which I thought was just waste.. unfortunately I washed them down the sink, and no one has been able to verify if those were eggs or in fact waste... but still pretty cool I guess. I'll have to put up the video.. it didn't stop for like 15 min, and the tank was all cloudy, I think I'm going to do a tiny water change today even though it cleared up.

novahobbies

OOH! I did get a little blue tuxedo urchin yesterday and it looked like it was spawning! It was excreting a milky white substance and I asked some people here about it and they said when the urchins are stressed their first thought is to reproduce. There were some little black/brown dots that almost looked like sand when I was acclimating it, which I thought was just waste.. unfortunately I washed them down the sink, and no one has been able to verify if those were eggs or in fact waste... but still pretty cool I guess. I'll have to put up the video.. it didn't stop for like 15 min, and the tank was all cloudy, I think I'm going to do a tiny water change today even though it cleared up.
Sounds like eggs and/or sperm to me as well. And I hear the same scuttlebutt: it's a common thing for them to do during times of stress. I actually remember a friend's high school science project that involved sea urchins that had him inducing reproduction by applying a gentle electrical current to the water. Tho' I'm not sure who got to define what a "gentle" electric shock is.....the human, or the urchins? ;-)

candaceswf

Administrator
sounds pretty interesting actually lol... I'm getting a pygmy possum wrasse today, so I'm really excited to finally get a fish in my tank. Next step is getting some LED's and building the canopy :)

novahobbies

Still here, and the tank is going well so far! I added a third and final fish to the group: a tiny yellow clown goby who likes to perch on the top of the rock formation. So now the crazy stock list of this little tank is as follows:

1 Red Firefish
1 Rainfords Goby
1 Yellow Clown Goby
3 Nassarius Snails (1 might not live)
4 Turban Snails
4 Blue Leg Hermit crabs

Filtration is via a small overflow with filter floss that gets changed every few days. That's it. There's not even any carbon in here yet (though I AM building a small rack so I can put a nano-bag of carbon in here under the filter floss). I do 1g water changes weekly. There is a large frag of chocomint palys in here, and a cutting of Kenya coral. The lighting is a cheapo Par-38 Ebay special.....and it sucks. LOL. My chocomint palys are currently just a bunch of brown flowers at this point. The Kenya is (naturally) doing great. I'm curious to see what a chalice might do in this tank.

I think I'm done with the build, though. That's one of the great things about nanos -- there's nothing here to overthink. That's great for dummies like me. As long as water changes get done weekly and filter floss is changed regularly, I see no reason to go adding other equipment and messing with the balance here. It might be a different story if I was attempting to keep acros in a ULN environment nano tank or something crazy like that, but for this particular project I just wanted to Keep It Simple. I've got a fish for the open water, a fish to sift sand and eat algae, and a fish that loves to hide in and out of the live rock. That's good enough for me!

PA142777.JPG

PA142778.JPG

PA142781.JPG

RobP

Looks great, I've thought of getting one for my desk but the cost always talks me out of it. I'm thinking DIY as much as I can might be the way to go. Thanks for sharing.

novahobbies

Rob, you're right....for a little office tank, think cheap and DIY. Look to see if you have any local reef clubs and join up. Get to know the people....you'd be amazed at how many times an aquarium will change hands. I got this from a buddy in a forum, and much of the rock as well. As for fish.....well, it's an office tank. Which means it's going to be ignored for two days every week. You'll want cheap, hardy fish that can put up with a little more system fluctuation than your standard reef tank. You see the fish I have here -- I spent 8 bucks on the firefish, 6 for the clown goby, and my "big expenditure" for fish was a $20 Rainfords....and that was only because I didn't want to wait for when they go on sale in my area.