Can anyone ID this anemone?

Nikky.Werr

I found this anemone inside a cave in the live rock I purchased locally, it was being bothered/nibbled on by some sort of hairy crab that I removed. I had put it in my refugium to see if it recovers but was told on a forum to put it in my tank (better light-wise) as they didn't think it would harm any tankmates. It's 1 inch in diameter and equal length in height with vertical dark pink stripes running down its body on a lighter pink or creme base and its tentacles are brown and apparently short (though its mostly been completely retracted, it let its tentacles "loose" for a little while). I'd like to know if anyone can ID this and in the event that it recovers, would it be safe to keep in my main tank with my clowns and scarlet shrimp?
I have absolutely no clue about anemones and unfortunately, in the country I live in, nor does my LFS where I purchased the live rock from (they weren't even aware it was there) so there's no one local who could assist me in ID, care or possibly keeping it if it survives.

Thanks in advance to everyone who takes a minute to check this out!

Attachments

Nikky.Werr

Make sure it is eating. it's a filter feeder, you should get him some food if you wanna keep it
Filter feeder, so can I use Selcon with it and kind of target the liquid directly at it? That's all I have right now for filter feeders on my LR but I can buy specifics for it.
And thank you! This has been great help :)

I would target directly at it because it's injured but it could be dyibg, crabs usually are nipping at dying things, but let's hope for the best

bang guy

That Anemone is not a filter feeder. It will respond to meaty chunks of seafood like Mysis Shrimp or minced shrimp/scallop.

Nikky.Werr

Okay so I noticed yesterday morning that when I first turn on the tank lights at my "morning/watery light" setting for a few minutes, the anemone is at it's most opened. I tried to capture this yesterday but once she/it senses the lights it started creeping back into itself. This morning however I was camera ready. You can see her/its mouth. It's not the best and most clear shot, but it's not bad. Check it out.
So obviousy she doesn't like the lights which is curious because she was doing just fine (fine as in showing at least some tentacle whereas in the tank during daylight hours she shows little to none.) with my fuge/sump lights which are just ur basic "marineland" leds that come with the aquarium lid they sell. The lights on my tank are Aquamana full spectrum LED's. I got them because of the reviews on amazon, people saying their "corals and anemones LOVE IT!". Anyways will the anemone ever get used to them? should I keep the lights at their dimmest for the next week?
Just as a reminder, this anemone was inside a live rock cave sitting at my LFS for about two weeks when they got their last live rock shipment. They had no idea this anemone was in there and nor did I when I purchased the LR. So it's safe to say this anemone had been hiding out for two weeks inside a dark LR cave with little to no lighting and no physical food either.

Oh and I did feed it yesterday, a small chunk of fresh raw shrimp, and before the food even got near her/it, she/it stretched out tentacles and just shwoop! Fascinating :D It seemed very hungry unless they all act as enthusiastic/voracious with food.

Attachments

dangerfish

Is it doing fine now because it seems its been awhile since the last post and I would like a update of how its doing.

Nikky.Werr

It's doing great. A member on the Reef Central forum replied to me stating that they study these anemones in Florida and are a species of warty anemone that feed at night, also extend their tentacles at night and hide a bit during the day. They prefer shaded areas rather than direct light. Anyways I've been feeding it during the "night" light cycle and it responds much better to that time. It hasn't harmed any of its tankmates though a cleaner shrimp did disappear mysteriously but I found a gorilla crab hiding in my rockwork so he may have been the culprit. I'd been feeding the anemone every other day and now I'm feeding every third day. I'll upload a photograph as soon as I get home tonight so you can see. Thanks for your concern :)

RobP

That's awesome, thanks for the info. I've never heard of an Anemone that doesn't like the light. That's what I love about this hobby is you are always learning something new.