Using copper based med's in a QT tank

pfcbizz

I'm preparing my new QT set-up and I'm trying to cover all bases, I've read preventive medicating while QTing new fish. and copper based med's are common and watching the dosage is required are there med's that can be used that don't have copper in them but still prevents the things most common with saltwater fish ?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Were you planning on just continuously dosing your QT? Most meds are specific to the disease. One shoe fits all is not the best route.

honu808

Beth by far, is the best guru around on diseases. I set up a 29 gal qt and am dosing copper to rid fish of ick while letting my display tank sit fallow for 72 days. I plan on dosing copper to no more than .50 for 14 days then running carbon and doing water changes to rid qt of copper.

honu808

Beth, I am using Seachem cupramine. Dosing 16 drops per 10.5 gal; waiting 48 hrs and doing the same to reach a total of .50 for 14 days. I hope that question was directed at me. Im sorry pfcbizz if it wasn't.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Beth, I am using Seachem cupramine. Dosing 16 drops per 10.5 gal; waiting 48 hrs and doing the same to reach a total of .50 for 14 days. I hope that question was directed at me. Im sorry pfcbizz if it wasn't.
Are you using a compatible test kit for the cupramine? Also, maintain the copper for 3 weeks.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Three wks since the last parasite spot you spotted on your fish. If you are uncertain about that, then go to a mo. I

honu808

I was going to do 60 days fishless in display to ensure all ick died in there. We all know how big of a pain it is to disrupt entire tank to get fish out. Lol

honu808

Today is three weeks exactly that my display has been fishless. Should I continue to wait or can I safely assume all ick in display tank is now dead?

honu808

Im not sure Beth. They are fine in qt but i miss them in display tank BUT want to make sure i never have to go through this again.