Snake's comeback - 55g mixed reef

novahobbies

I feel ya. Not a bad idea....besides, you can buy new stuff slowly.
My new stuff needs to be a skimmer...and new sand. I'm tired of the black.

foodshape

Ah, so your house is not totally 'ok' per my previous assumption. Sorry about that. As you say, a future aquarium setup is not a priority at such times.

eric b 125

With my current build I found that buying things slowly made it much easier on my pocket. I didn't wait for the build to start to decide what I needed. I have nice equipment but I started buying the 'bigger' stuff in January. This afforded me the opportunity to build the system I really wanted, do it right the first time, and it also was less stressful. This is a hobby for me and I can't let it stress me out or become a burden to me...that's what jobs are for.

snakeblitz33

You know, your right Eric, I do need to take this slow and easy.

I might end up using the current 55g tank as the sump and buy a non-tempered 55g tank for display. Just gonna take time.

snakeblitz33

I found a non tempered side panel glass tank at my local animal store. $99.99.

The storm has kinda knocked me down this week. Gonna take another week or two to get it.

55g sump overkill?

I can section it off. One side for ATO reservoir and kalk stirrer.

Since I am exclusively using kalk, I'm going to invest in the one made by reef octopus.

By the way, I have power now.

F2 tornado and no power for 2 1/2 days. I'm thinking battery air pumps should be a good enough backup.

eric b 125

55 gallon sump is not overkill. The bigger the sump, the better. Are you dead set on a 55 DT? I know you like tall tanks, but IMO a 40B would give you more real estate and aquascaping options. A 40B w/ 55 sump would be slick.

snakeblitz33

I already built the stand. Only things that fit is a 55g a 90g show and a 150 narrow

A 55g is cheap and enough for me to take care of.

eric b 125

I already built the stand. Only things that fit is a 55g a 90g show and a 150 narrow

A 55g is cheap and enough for me to take care of.
I hear ya. I'd have gone smaller myself, to save on space, but I knew that eventually I'd have upgraded to the 200DD so I cut out the middle man. Plus with poured concrete floors and utilities included in my rent, it was pretty much written in the stars, lol.

snakeblitz33

Yeah, just no space and it's big enough for what I want to take care of. If I had the budget and the space, I would have gone much bigger.

I just listed this tank on craigslist and just got a bite, that quick. They wanted the stand too for my asking price and I said no, but I could build them one. lol Apparently the rustic look or distressed look is popular right now - more people want the stand than the tank. lol

Anyways, I'm paying off a gun layaway in the next week or two, so I am happy about that - then I'll have more money to play with for the tank. Can't really do much but plan for what I want..

After I get the new tank, what do you think comes next? new RO unit filters... or plumbing/pump? decisions, decisions...

eric b 125

After I get the new tank, what do you think comes next? new RO unit filters... or plumbing/pump? decisions, decisions...
That's up to you. I would probably do RO filters so you can get the rock cleaned and cycling. That's going to take some time, so I would get that rollin now and you can save up for pump/plumbing while the rock does its thing. JMO.

snakeblitz33

I found a buyer for the tempered glass tank.

Going to swap it out for a non tempered one soon.

Gotta go by the store and pick up another 20g long.

I think I might do the coast to coast bean animal.

I'm just going through a few things right now, but I almost have everything sorted out. Still going to take time on this build.

There is a possibility of getting plywood for the bookcase and canopy this next week. :))

The snake is coming along really, really slowly. I need to speed it up.

eric b 125

The snake is coming along really, really slowly.
Like a worm, lol. There's no hurry big guy. You put a lot of yourself into your builds so take it slow and make sure you're creating something you deserve. I'm learning that even the smallest progress, every day, is progress nonetheless and it adds up over each week.

snakeblitz33

Apparently people like scraps of stuff that come out of s taxidermy shop. Lol. I just sold some stuff that I would normally have thrown away.

Possible side business??? Money for a tank!! Lol