big problem with my styrafoam background

pfcbizz

Today as my wife was rearranging the rock in our big tank the styrofoam rock background I built in my 100 gallon tank completely came loose, so quickly I turned off all my equipment and removed it from the tank well I'm not mad about the background coming loose but I'm concerned that there will be some problems with the parameters of the water will be thrown way off and with the new space given back to the tank I'm gonna have to add more sand ? and I would like to add more rock my question is will I have to remove my Angel fish and restart my cycle process ? or any type of advise ?

trigger40

yes i would remove your fish into a qt or holding tank. you should not haft to restart the cycling process but the tank may be unstable for the next week or so.

flower

Hi,

I'm going to disagree with Trigger, I would just watch the parameters real close, and use ammonia test strips. Any reading at all means do a water change, so exact numbers won't matter. Those are the only test strips I ever recommend.

I doubt you will have any problems, but testing for ammonia will grant peace of mind. You don't have to remove your fish, stressing them all out.

trigger40

Hi,

I'm going to disagree with Trigger, I would just watch the parameters real close, and use ammonia test strips. Any reading at all means do a water change, so exact numbers won't matter. Those are the only test strips I ever recommend.

I doubt you will have any problems, but testing for ammonia will grant peace of mind. You don't have to remove your fish, stressing them all out.
but wont adding sand murky the tank all up. i gess it wouldnt if it wasnt live sand it would be ok. so flower is right

eric b 125

When you add new sand, make sure it's rinsed really well and slowly pour it down a large diameter piece of PVC that is aimed at the bare spot. If you do it slowly enough it will keep the murkiness down to a minimum. Also, if you were to cap the bottom of the PVC tube off after your done pouring the sand, before you remove it from the tank, you will remove a good bit of the murky water. Just be sure to have replacement water mixed beforehand. I've done this before with good results.