Went MIA for a bit...

seecrabrun

apparently almost 2 months! Man! I guess life really does have a way of keeping you occupied.

Admittedly I neglected my tanks in this time. Didn't test the water or do a water change the whole time pretty much. I have an ammonia badge and still accessed the behavior of the tank, but didn't do anything proactive.

Amazingly no algae growth or dead critters. Finally tested and the main tank that I've been certain was cycled a while ago proved to be the strongest. Even the nitrate level wasn't above what it normally gets when it is time for a water change!

The mini tank that is only a couple months old isn't as lucky, but that's not surprising. It tested low for ammonia and high for nitrates, and also very low for pH which concerns me.

Normally mini tank is 8.1 on pH but tests 7.6, any idea what might do this?

There is macro algae in this tank along with some nerite and turbo snails, cerith, and nassarius, as well as a xanthid crab and yellow tail damsel.

It has a HOB refugium that spiked with qtip sponges a couple weeks ago and then they died off recently which urged me to clean the container and finally test the waters. I wonder what them dying off may do to the water? There were a LOT in the refugium and they all died around the same time.

jay0705

What water source do u use? It could be a diff source for your water causing it. Ph also drops at lower salinitys.

seecrabrun

I did switch from RO water at publix to an RODI at home. I'll check the salinity again. It probably is off some.

jay0705

Try testing a sample of your sw mix u use for water changes. If u again have low ph, its your source.

seecrabrun

I use the same water in both tanks and only 1 is abnormal, and it is significantly abnormal.
This tank is normally 8.1, currently 7.6, the other tank is normally 8.2 and still is 8.2

jay0705

Hmm, I have no idea. Ph can be affected by certain things in the tank, crushed coral vs sand. Sand is better. In fw people use drift wood to help w ph, but sw if its stable in ur other tank idk why its diff in your other

seecrabrun

I'll continue to keep an eye on it. Is it something I need to fix or just monitor? The tank has no coral and won't have coral.