Maintaining pH through Hypo

honu808

I lost my yellow tang tonight in qt. I have a 29 gal with heater and hob filter. I added first day dosage of cupramine as directed two days ago. I went down to test my water and to dose copper again to raise it to .50 as directed and found my little tang didn't make it.
If I quit the copper treatment, change out the water and start hypo, how do I maintain pH at a healthy level? Also, whats the recommended safe level to maintain pH during hypo? Thanks

beth

Administrator
Staff member
First, how are your water readings in the QT? Ammonia, nitrites, pH, temp?

Your best bet for maintaining good pH is to raise your fresh water change-out water pH to 8.0, aerated well before using it to do the switch from saltwater to hypo water. One in hypo, test regularly and buffer as need, if needed.

Hypo should be done with a refractometer.

honu808

amm-0
trites and trates-0
pH-8.0

I do use a reftractometer.
How is the best way to raise pH when it drops?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Use a buffer that will raise pH. You can use a simple household product such as baking soda, or get a buffer sold as a hobby product. I prefer liquid buffer because it does not require dissolving powders prior to use.

honu808

I came home from work today and my sixline wrasse looks/acting weird. He is hanging out vertical, hopefully he is going to be ok. Im thinking about changing out water tomorrow and starting hypo. Once I change out most of the water I will start running a carbon filter pad in my hob.
Any thoughts? Thanks

jay0705

What is in your qt? Any substrate, decor? Copper has to be excact, anything in the tank that takes up water volume can effect that. Just bc its 29 doesnt mean there is actually 29gallons in the tank. I only ask bc a tang and wrasse should be ok w a safe dose of copper. Dwarf angels generally dont do well w it tho.

honu808

Only thing in my qt because im using copper is a small piece of pvc pipe for them to seek shelter in.
When i do get an angel it will go through hypo not copper treatment.
Currently in qt are a pair of small clowns, one green chromis, the sixline wrasse and a small royal gramma that i suspect is the ich carrier.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What exactly do you suspect is wrong with your fish? Is the 29 gal the QT?

honu808

It usually doesnt hang out vertical. It normally hides. This morning it looked ok but i think i still see ich spots and i didnt before. Instead of being in his mucus cocoon when i looked this morning, he is resting on the glass bottom.
Yes the qt is. 29 gal tank. My display is a 93 gal reef with sump/ refugium that is running fishless right now.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have a digital camera that can take decent pictures of your fish? If so, please post pics of they fish in question with the spots.

honu808

Everyone in qt ate tonight except the sixline. He is hiding in the small piece of pvc pipe I put in the tank. He is moving around in it so looks like he is adjusting.
I will see in the morning to see how he is doing.

honu808

Just an update; everyone looks great this morning and no signs of ich. I will continue to monitor and update as needed. Thank you Beth.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Just be sure that your countdown to discontinuing the med begins after you are certain that no more spots remain. A magnifying glass is a handy instrument to observe and inspect your fish closely.

honu808

Beth, i hear mandarins cannot get ich because they are scaleless and have a heavy slime coat. If i have the pod population is it ok to add one to display tank while i keep everyone else in qt?
Im running the dt fishless to kill off ich in there.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
It is true. However, all new fish should be QTed because they can carry other illnesses and is best to address those illnesses prior to intro into the display..

jay0705

Most people do 1-3 wks. It depends on the fish for me. Draggonets if they eat frozen is 1 wk if all looks good

beth

Administrator
Staff member
1 week is not long enough. Many diseases, particularly parasites, will not manifest within a week. 3 is the min time IF you are watchful for diseases, checking every day and preferably using a magnifying glass to observe your fish.