Filter socks are a pain to replace!!!

ClaptonsGhost

Sometimes I could really smack the crap out of the guys who installed my plumbing and filtration (I couldn't do it myself because of a bad back). The way it's set up, I have to be a world class contortionist to reach the back filter sock to remove it. On top of that the overflow tubing going into the sock goes all the way to the bottom of the sock, there is barely enough room at the top of the space underneath the tank to lift it clear so I can remove the sock without shooting water all over the place. Even the front sock is difficult but at least it's a bit easier to reach. With the back sock I have to reach in blind and feel my way around.

Are these things really necessary? I've got an 11 oz. bag of Chemi Pure in each one, which makes them clog even faster. I just got done wrestling with them and I'm freakin' exhaused and my back is killing me. Any alternatives or ideas that will make things a bit easier?

pegasus

I used to use fiber filter socks, but they clogged so quickly and required such frequent cleanings that I retired them. An alternative to re-routing the plumbing or doing away with the fiber filters socks altogether, is changing to mesh socks. They won't trap the" finer" particles, but they won't clog nearly as quickly either. They're soft and flexible, so they're much easier to work into tight spaces.

ClaptonsGhost

Hey, thanks for replying. Actually this has been a blessing in disguise. I find it a lot easier now physically to get down into the guts of the system. It's almost like physical therapy. I wash the socks in my washing machine and they come out almost brand new and stay unclogged a lot longer. But I appreciate the advice.
Cheers!

RobP

I never thought of washing them in the washing machine. I too didn't like that because they were a pain to clean and never really seemed to come completely clean but I may have to revisit them. Thanks ClaptonsGhost

ClaptonsGhost

The long haired guy in the Bulk Reef Supply videos suggested it. Keep in mind when you place them back in the sump you'll have micro bubbles for a few hours until they get thoroughly soaked again (my spin cycle dries them dry as a bone), but they stay unclogged a bit longer. Run a rinse cycle first to make sure there's no detergent residue.