Smaller place, bigger tank...My 200DD build

eric b 125

that sucks o_O. well thats life for ya...
So it goes...

Woke up early today, banged out an assignment for school and then worked on the tank for a bit. The Magic Eraser didn't do anything to the printing on the pvc so I lightly sanded the 3 overflows with 150 grit and it came right off. Also got the bottom parts of the 3 overflows glued, just have to do the standpipes. The return is a bit more intricate, with the manifold and all, so I'm not going to try and get it done before work today...that's tomorrow's task. If I can get the return done tomorrow, the standpipes and final cleaning of pvc done on Friday, then I'm set to get wet this weekend.

I will have to wait another two weeks to aquascape because I only get every other weekend off, but I will probably run the whole system for that entire time. That'll give me time to work out some kinks and paint the electrical box. All the sand and LR is still in storage and I'm really not looking forward to moving it, lol. It's only a mile away but it will take a few trips. There's 4 bags of sand so I might start grabbing them one/day on my way home from work next week.

eric b 125

why dont you get a cartor something for the sand. that should make it a lot easyer.
Carrying it will be easier with the stairs I'll have to take.

I got a lot done today...finished gluing the return and even got Kilz on the box.

I'll have to swing by Home Depot before work tomorrow and get some Rectorseal 5 and some tubing for the return and manifold. I can almost hear the Vortech's humming already, lol

eric b 125

On a roll the last few days...

I'll have to flip it over to spray the top but progress is progress. As you can see from the man in the background, the landscapers came today and cut my work short since I spray in the yard. It's not supposed to rain tomorrow so I can get the rest of the paint on and put the box to use on Sunday.

I got a piece of acrylic yesterday for the lid of the reservoir. There is about a 1/2" strip that isn't covered by the box that I needed to allow for the tubing of the Osmolator. I'll cut and spray that tomorrow as well.

snakeblitz33

All great ideas man. I'm glad that your build is progressing nicely. Painting the reservoir is probably a pretty good move. I like your skimmer, great choice. I'm a little biased and like Reef Octopus - because they are in slidell Louisiana. :)

Looking forward to more pics man... I know this thing will be awesome!

What are you researching for lights? Are you going to use your photons?

eric b 125

All great ideas man. I'm glad that your build is progressing nicely. Painting the reservoir is probably a pretty good move. I like your skimmer, great choice. I'm a little biased and like Reef Octopus - because they are in slidell Louisiana. :)

Looking forward to more pics man... I know this thing will be awesome!

What are you researching for lights? Are you going to use your photons?
I'm curious about the skimmer, myself. It was the best choice with the space constraints of the stand and the videos of it in action were impressive. It's got an oval body which is unique and is powered by a controllable DC pump and that's new to me. It's a definite upgrade from my old ASM G3 that I ran on the 125.

I got two Photon 32's in January this year for the 125 that I was really happy with for the short time I ran them. I'm going to run them on this tank for a while and see how they do. I talked to Logan from Reef Breeders and he said they will work fine. I don't want to supplement w/ T5's, only because I have an open top and I don't know how I'd hide them, but if there's a bad shadow I might end up upgrading to two Photon 48's or something different all together in a few months.

I got eggcrate and vinyl tubing for the return yesterday but I couldn't find rectorseal 5 which I will need to get the system running. I'll try a few other stores today but first I'm going to finish painting the box and then I have to work on a midterm project.

eric b 125

Reservoir tank and box in place. They went in real nicely. I'll be able to remove everything, including the sump, from the stand without draining the tank. The switches will go in the box tomorrow when I place all the equipment for the FW test.

Also put eggcrate down, which is something I wanted to do on my last build was was in too much of a hurry to actually do. I'm hoping it helps keep rocks from sliding when doing the aquascape.

eric b 125

Still messing around with the plumbing. Trying to get the standpipes right. It's darn near silent :). Just working on the open channel John Guest fitting now. Once I get it right I'm going to drain the overflows and let them dry out for the night so I can glue them together tomorrow.

eric b 125

Found time between doing homework and picking my car up from service/ dropping rental off and work to glue the standpipes. Tomorrow will be final leak test and beginning the electrical. I am so eager to have this tank running it's unreal. Now, off to work o_O

eric b 125

Hi Eric, Are you happy with the 200DD dimensions now that you've settled it in?
I am very pleased with the dimensions so far. I haven't done anything in the tank yet, but I think when I get around to aquascaping I'll be even more happy with it. It was a bit of a stretch in the apartment, but it fits in here nicely.
One of my main concerns was being able to fit all the equipment in the stand and still have room to work. Planning and patience helped that work itself out.

lol im am eager to see this tank too!
Me too. I've been real busy working on a research paper so yesterday I didn't get anything done with the tank.

eric b 125

Each little thing brings me closer to the cycle...got the lights hung and the VorTechs on the back wall.

I noticed that one of the wet sides doesn't spin as freely as the other, so I'm going to send it in on my next day off to get serviced. Luckily, EcoTech is located pretty close to Pittsburgh, so the turn around isn't that long. Still haven't put the standpipes back in to do the final FW test, because I want to have a few hours free in case of any leaks. I can try getting around to that this weekend.

eric b 125

Got some more stuff into the system. Just have to connect the reactors to the manifold and run wires. I'm going to place all 3 VorTech controllers and the skimmer controller on the side of the box. The ATO and pH controller will go on top of the box. It's not much to look at, but it is progress and every little step counts, right?

It really is ridiculous how much stuff goes into these builds.

eric b 125

Also got the acrylic cut for the top of the reservoir tank.

I'll have just enough space to run the ATO lines and also have room for a hose to fill it.