can ghost shrimp live in saltwater?

I need to know if ghost shrimp can live in saltwater? I want to feed them to my lion fish but dont know if i need to keep a seperate tank of freshwater for them or if i can just put them in my saltwater tank.

saltn00b

freshwater animals are not usually good for food for saltwater animals. the freshwater animals i have read can lead to build up of certain toxins that can be very detrimental to the livers of your fish. that may, however be only for FW feeder fish , and not inverts. you may also want to look into the nutritional value of ghost shrimp, because i have a feeling they are similar to brine, only larger, which provides no real sustenance for the fish.

S

smartorl

You can buy saltwater ghost shrimp, ask you lfs. You can also feed them to "gut load" them to make them more nutritious. I wouldn't say it is the best food source, but it can get you through.
I like keeping the saltwater ghosts in my tanks, they cleanup until they become someone's snack.

The ghost shrimp will live in the tank for a day or two I'm gonna say, but wont live long turn. Whenever I bought them I just kept them in a bucket with the LFS water from the bag, they lived for a week or so...

sepulatian

Originally Posted by cajundolphin
I am only feeding them temporarily...i am trying to wing my lion off of fw fish
The other poster was correct about FW feeders being unhealthy, ghost shrimp are exactly the correct choice for your lion. Do you have a spare small tank that you can keep them alive in? The nutritious foods that you offer the shrimp will be passed along to your lion. Even an airstone in a bucket, in a warm place, would work. The shrimp do jump, and will stick themselves to the side of the bucket, be ready for that.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by cajundolphin
I do have a 30 hex tank that I have guppies in. Can I put them in there or will they eat my baby guppies?
How small are the babies? As with anything, if they can fit in the mouth...........you know the rest. Do you, or can you pick up, a breeder tank? They float in the water and cost about $2-3. Put the shrimp in one of those.

luca brasi

I do this for my pistol shrimp, some last a few weeks before he gets them

The day they get put in, it sounds like a Clint Eastwood movie! BANG...Bang...BANG...

Gregory Russell

Yes and no.Hi my name is Greg from what I know freshwaterGhost shrimp will live a few hours in saltwater.there filter system can not handle the salt salinity.Its like putting a man on the moon without 0xygen we would die.there are some animals that cross over like sharks and stingrays even jellyfish they can adapt.fresh water Ghost shrimp can not. Until they come between saltwater and brackish if it ever happens lol you might want to get Bria

Gregory Russell

Yes and no.Hi my name is Greg from what I know freshwaterGhost shrimp will live a few hours in saltwater.there filter system can not handle the salt salinity.Its like putting a man on the moon without 0xygen we would die.there are some animals that cross over like sharks and stingrays even jellyfish they can adapt.fresh water Ghost shrimp can not. Until they come between saltwater and brackish if it ever happens lol you might want to get Brine shrimp.Stay bless water is strength amen