aquarium underwater waterfall

pfcbizz

Hello I need a little insight I moved my fish into my other tank and completely took my tank down and plan to re-do the look of my tank and as I was browsing I came across people who have built waterfalls inside their tanks and was thinking of building one in my rebuild but my concern is would this be ok for a saltwater tank so I'd appreciate and opinions.

flower

Hi,

The waterfall look is created with a bubble wand in the back. The only problem with bubbles is the salt creep it creates. It won't hurt the fish, nor any of the other critters, it just makes a huge salt creep mess. I was always told that small bubbles can get caught in the fish' gills... but there was a big debate thread on that years ago here on the site, and it was determined to be a myth.

I keep seahorses, and have bubble lines (no stone)... the seahorses like to play in the bubbles, and it helps with moving the water surface... it looks nice in the tank too, but it sure does create a big salt creep mess.

pfcbizz

To Flower, it wouldn't really cause alot of bubbles because of the design and the airstone but I do hear you about the salt creep but I'll figure something out because those look so nice and easy to build and there also cheap to build also I'll keep you updated.

flower

Hi,

That looks way more awesome then a bubble wand in the back... it actually looks like something that has been photo shopped. Do tell how that water fall creation was done in a tank.... LOL...because I want to do that if it's real.

pfcbizz

Hi,

That looks way more awesome then a bubble wand in the back... it actually looks like something that has been photo shopped. Do tell how that water fall creation was done in a tank.... LOL...because I want to do that if it's real.
you use PVC pipe, air pump, PVC elbow and 1mm sand instead of real fine sand look on youtube under under water aquarium waterfall.

flower

Looks too complicated for me to make. The one I looked at even listed all the stuff that can go wrong....LOL...I'm sure he saved me lots of problems by listing them.

flower

I don't remember, I googled it is all I know and it was on uTube. It had to do with the angle of the PVC had to be just right, and the rocks had to be set just so, otherwise the sand would go everywhere or not pool at the bottom so it can be sucked back up. It said to use really fine sand. at the end it said that to really do it, you should have a professional install it.

It's really beautiful, I hope you can do it and share here on the site, it would be a super interesting build.

pfcbizz

Yea I know that part you have to use elbows on both ends and a screen from a filter end so you wont have anything going up the pipe and in the top grill a small hole and you have to use a 1mm sand it's heavier I'm gonna build my rock structure and Install it myself I'll post pic's when done.