Macro Algae

foodshape

75g reef (been running for over a year now but still early in the coral stocking stage), I have a decent skimmer in the sump (Vetex Omega 150) and plenty of LR and base rock in the DT. I was thinking of adding some macro algae to my sump (with lighting) to further lower nitrates. The only macro algae anyone around ever seems to carry though is caulerpa (they all get tight-lipped and curt when I ask if they have any chaetomorpha). Some don't carry any macro algae at all, and those that only carry caulerpa (and do use it in some of their systems) act puzzled about why I would even be concerned about caulerpa. From all I've read caulerpa can work very well but can also turn into a real pain / disaster (extra measures required to keep it from reproducing via spore release and infesting the DT, with hit-and-miss success; more prone to dying off & releasing nutrients back into the tank if conditions not optimal...). Frankly I just don't like the sound of the extra hassle.

My question: if only caulerpa is available would you add it? The sump is a 30 breeder (36 X 18) and at present there is a large chamber (almost half the sump) that is empty - instead of adding macros I could simply load that chamber with dead rock to let it become live over time... and no pruning or extra lighting to worry about.

Last edited:

bang guy

Macro Algae will also reduce PO4 levels so it does double duty.

Do you know what species of Caulerpa are available?

If you keep it pruned it's unlikely to sporulate. But you are right, you need to keep an eye on it. It will give you a days warning when parts start to turn mottled and if you severely trim it back at that time you can avoid the event.

If some manages to get to your display tank it's usually not a big deal to remove it. It's not the spores you need to worry about taking hold, it's broken off pieces of Caulerpa.

geridoc

Take a look at live-plants.com. They have pretty much every variety of macro there is, and, according to Flower on this site, they are very good.

flower

Hi,

Grape and feather caulerpa, sporalate and need to be watched. Prolifera caulerpa, the blade turns white... but I have had many blades turn white without a single problem, I would get the prolifera and leave the other two alone, since they are known for turning the water into what looks like milk.

If you are putting macroalgae into the sump. I would go with something like Chaeto or ulva that doesn't need a holdfast, it just floats free...the only thing it needs is a light in the sump. Golf coast ecosystems (AKA live-plants.com) is the best place I have found with the most variety.

bang guy

Back in the day I used to harvest 5 gallons a week of Caulerpa racemosa from my lagoon tank. Never had a problem with sporulation.

foodshape

Very helpful replies, thanks folks. One other concern I have about having to prune regularly is vacations. I keep human intervention while I'm away to a minimum (that even goes for freshwater tanks). I don't have anyone knowledgeable enough to trust doing anything requiring experience & judgment. I suppose macros could largely be removed to a separate tank for those periods, or pruned back so far it takes them a long time to recover. How do others handle such a situation?

Golf coast ecosystems (AKA live-plants.com) do seem to have good selection. The site says they only ship within the US though, which doesn't surprise me. I'm in Canada.

bang guy

If you are harvesting (pruning) every week and skip a week nothing bad will happen. It typically takes months for Caulerpa to get to the point of going sexual (sporulation).

Trimming back a little extra prior to a vacation isn't a bad idea either.

for me cheatomorpha is better it works great in my tank and get a lot of growth if you only lived in Maryland I would have given you some for free I get so much growth its crazy :D cheato never turns white and only use regular florescent bulbs

foodshape

...if you only lived in Maryland I would have given you some for free...
Thanks for the thought. Hopefully I can hook up with some hobbyists around here who've gotten hold of some. Bang guy's remarks regarding caulerpa are somewhat reassuring as well though - if I can't locate any chaeto I may yet go that route.

foodshape

Spoke to the manager at one of the better lfs around. Due to demand they're placing an order for chaeto with a supplier they don't normally deal with. So looks like I should get some. THEN open a chaeto store and get RICH!! (Ok, maybe not.)

The staff at this same place looked at me like I was a Martian just last week though when I asked about macro algaes. At least the message gets through eventually...

flower

Just so you know guys... You can share your macroalgae, it doesn't cost much to ship it (have whoever you send it to, pay for shipping...about $5.00), it doesn't have to be over night like corals or fish. I used to share the stuff I had when I harvested, I like bubble algae, and deliberately introduced it into my tank... and I didn't want to infest somebodies tank so I quit giving it away.

foodshape

Yes, I thought that could be a possibility. I'm guessing shipping live plants across borders might possibly be a problem though - especially somehing anybody anywhere might even think may be invasive.

flower

Yes, I thought that could be a possibility. I'm guessing shipping live plants across borders might possibly be a problem though - especially somehing anybody anywhere might even think may be invasive.
Agreed, I'm so used to the states, I forget how far reaching the internet is.