Help me with my zoanthids!

john rambo

Hello all,

A few months ago I picked up a colony of zoanthids. I have several different types of zoanthids in my tank, all have appeared very healthy. However, a few days ago I noticed one of my zoanthid colonies had began to "close up". I noticed what appears to be a aiptasia anemone within the cluster. Could this be the culprit?

I have a starry blenny, which I introduced a month ago. I have never seen him munch on any corals, however, he could be "brushing" against these as he perches on the rock? No other zoanthids in the tank appear unhappy, all are fully opened.

Where should I position this group of zoanthids? Right now they are in the middle/top area. Lights are on 10 hours a day. I'm running 1 36" Current USA Orbit Marine LED light. Again, all other corals appear to be very happy (closed brain, candy cane, mushrooms, toadstool leather, etc.).

My nitrates are below 15ppm. Everything else is where it should be.

Again, this was the first zoanthid I picked up 2 months ago. He was always opened, full of color, until a few days ago.

Please let me know if any further input is needed.

Thanks!

Attachments

flower

Aptasia will indeed sting the coral, causing it to close up. Joe's juice or aptasia X is the answer, and then get a couple of peppermint shrimp to feed on any little ones that may crop up later. Whatever you do, don't disturb the aptasia, it will release spores and spread like wild fire. Squirt the juice or aptasia X right into the disk, without touching it...it will close up around it, melt and die before your eyes within moments.

It most likely came in on the coral, and is now large enough to become a noticeable problem. The bad thing is, now your tank had been exposed to the aptasia, and being moved with the coral, it may have released spores. You will start noticing them here and there and then everywhere...peppermint shrimp will get them as they crop up and are small...the big granddaddy size they won't eat, they need to be eliminated with the juice or aptasia X.

john rambo

Aptasia will indeed sting the coral, causing it to close up. Joe's juice or aptasia X is the answer, and then get a couple of peppermint shrimp to feed on any little ones that may crop up later. Whatever you do, don't disturb the aptasia, it will release spores and spread like wild fire. Squirt the juice or aptasia X right into the disk, without touching it...it will close up around it, melt and die before your eyes within moments.

It most likely came in on the coral, and is now large enough to become a noticeable problem. The bad thing is, now your tank had been exposed to the aptasia, and being moved with the coral, it may have released spores. You will start noticing them here and there and then everywhere...peppermint shrimp will get them as they crop up and are small...the big granddaddy size they won't eat, they need to be eliminated with the juice or aptasia X.
Thanks for the input. I picked up some Aptasia X. I will also gamble and try the peppermint, but I have a Melanurus Wrasse!