Macro Algae experts

pfcbizz

I had read a thread here about adding macro algae into a saltwater tank, and I received a lot of great feedback and want to purchase some for my tank but I want to get some further feed back from people here that have more knowledge on macro algae, as far as what types are not patable to dwarf angels, tangs, wrasse and inverts and won't over take my tank and any other helpful advise, so I welcome anyones opinions

flower

Hi,

Here is a link to a macroalgae on-line book. http://marineplantbook.com/ The information will tell you which ones the fish think are, or not, tasty, and how fast or slow it grows.

Any macro not culled back (harvested) will grow out of proportion and cover your tank, so it really is a matter of how good you take care of things. The more pollution you have of nitrates and phosphates (the stuff macros feed on) the faster it grows. As you cull it back (harvest it out of the system) you are removing the nitrates, phosphates, and any other nasty out of your system.

Be sure it's what you want to do... once you add macros, they are pretty much there to stay.

trigger40

i just recently started keeping macros. i love them. they drastically reduced how much i haft to do water changes. i bought a chunk about three weeks ago and it was about the size of a soft ball. i stuck it between two pieces of lr and now its about the size of a football. its starting to get in my coral's space so i gess im going to trim it back soon.

pfcbizz

Hi,

Here is a link to a macroalgae on-line book. http://marineplantbook.com/ The information will tell you which ones the fish think are, or not, tasty, and how fast or slow it grows.

Any macro not culled back (harvested) will grow out of proportion and cover your tank, so it really is a matter of how good you take care of things. The more pollution you have of nitrates and phosphates (the stuff macros feed on) the faster it grows. As you cull it back (harvest it out of the system) you are removing the nitrates, phosphates, and any other nasty out of your system.

Be sure it's what you want to do... once you add macros, they are pretty much there to stay.
Thank you I've gotten this info and have been there and checked it out, but I'd like to hear from people here who have macro algae or have had it in their tanks

flower

Hi,

I keep seahorses...macros are great for keeping the water quality up because the horses are messy, messy eaters. They also like to hitch to the macros, so it's the perfect combo for me.

I used to keep coral, Tangs and a dwarf angelfish, THEN I kept macros in a in-tank refugium.

trigger40

i keep two trigger fish a, bursa trigger and a humu trigger. i also have a ocellaris clown and a purple dottyback. im working on getting a tang.