Danner Mag Drive Pumps - Product Review

snakeblitz33

Danner Mag Drive Pumps
https://www.saltwaterfish.com/product-mag-drive-supreme-7-pump

We have all been there. We shop, we look around the internet for the best deals. We weigh the benefits and read all of the reviews. This review on the Danner Mag Drive pumps will help you determine if this is the right pump for your aquarium or pond. The reason why you are reading this article is because you more than likely have a sump for your saltwater aquarium, and you are wondering what pump to get to run your system. Well, there are a lot of options out there - and some pumps cost more than others. Just like with any product, you get what you pay for. These, in my opinion, a medium cost utility pump and are workhorses.

Benefits: This pump is cost effective, gives a great low-pressure high volume flow. These pumps are highly adaptable, with inlet and outlet threads which allow you to attach PVC or adapters to it. These pumps are, as I said, work horses. They rarely ever fail after continual use. They are meant to be ran continually for long periods of time. I have heard reports on these pumps lasting anywhere from 10 to 20 years and only needing a simple impeller change - which saltwaterfish.com does sell. These pumps do come in a variety of sizes which will suit your needs.

Cons: These pumps use slightly more power than some of the other higher quality brand pumps, which might not be a plus. You can find pumps that have a lower power consumption such as the lifeguard aquatic quiet one pumps, but the benefits of solid construction in my opinion, outweighs the lightweight plastic on other models. Since these pumps do run with more power usage, they will also put slightly more heat into the aquarium water as a submersible sump.

Modifications: As you are installing your new Danner Mag Drive pump, remove it from the box and you will notice a course filter and an inlet adaptor that fits inside of the filter. You can use this pre-filter to protect your pumps impellers, however, it has been recommended by many hobbyists to remove this pre-filter so that there is nothing to clog up and affect the flow rate of the pump.

Another modification that you can make to the pump is adding beads of silicone on the side that will sit on the glass or acrylic. This will allow the pump to be run much more silently than using the foam pad contained in the packaging. Simply add beads of silicone and let it sit suspended or on a side that does not have silicone. Put thick beads on it so that the silicone can absorb the vibrations from the pump instead of the aquarium glass.

I recommend using a relief valve on these pumps – as putting pressure on the pump by a ball valve can over time damage the pump. A relief valve is a very simple fix and one that I would highly recommend. For more information on relief valves, please do a simple search on the forums.

Conclusions: These pumps are work horses. They are of solid built construction – and can easily be used for many consecutive years. The impeller assembly is very easy to install and very affordable. The pumps do come in a variety of sizes and flow rates that will suit your needs. The power cords are very long and grounded, which goes to show that Danner has thought about every aspect of the hobby to suit the needs of the modern aquarist.

geridoc

Nice review, Snake. I have used Mag pumps for many years, and I concur that they do run a little hot, and would not make them my first choice for submerged use. That said, the only one I ever had fail was one that was submerged in an unreachable location in a sump. Whenever I turned it off, it would not start until I disassembled the sump to get to it and rotated the impeller manually a few times. But that's one unit out of a dozen or more I have had running for many years.

beaslbob

back long long time ago like over a decade +, they were replacing the screws with stainless for submerged operation. Hopefully the newer models already have that mod