Benefit's or drawback's of using a aerator

pfcbizz

I was watching tanked on TV one of my favorite shows, and they were saying that bubbles have a benefit to the fish, but I want to hear you guy's opinion's and why ?

RobP

I believe that bubbles do add O2 to the system but what I don't like about it is the salt creep. When the bubbles pop after a while it's everywhere but I guess if you kept up on cleaning the salt creep it would be okay.

bang guy

Aerators definitely reduce CO2. I doubt they add O2, I'd have to see research on that.

A good skimmer is 10X more effective though.

RobP

The main reason I say that it will evelvate the o2 level is when you are using UltraLife Red Slime Remover, they say it can lower O2 levels which is why they recommend using a air stone.

bang guy

The main reason I say that it will evelvate the o2 level is when you are using UltraLife Red Slime Remover, they say it can lower O2 levels which is why they recommend using a air stone.
I can see that. Usually in a reef tank O2 is saturated and you really can't get more O2 into the water. But I agree there are chemicals that consume high quantities of O2 and an airstone would help. The ammonia detoxifiers are a prime example.

I'd still like to see a study if the airstone does any better at dissolving O2 than just regular waterflow.

RobP

Oh I don't think an airstone does a better job either. Proper water flow especially at the surface of the water can and does the same job if not better than a stone. I personally don't like air stones.

flower

Hi,

Because I keep seahorses, I use the bubble lines (aerator). Salt creep is the bane of my existence, it coats even the lights, and I have to always wipe stuff down to keep it under control.

That being said...it does indeed add oxygen to the water, when the power goes out for any length of time, a battery operated aerator will keep your critters alive. So if you like the look of the bubbles, it won't do any harm to use an aerator, but if you just want more oxygen in the water... there are better, less messy options.

bang guy

Hi,

Because I keep seahorses, I use the bubble lines (aerator). Salt creep is the bane of my existence, it coats even the lights, and I have to always wipe stuff down to keep it under control.

That being said...it does indeed add oxygen to the water, when the power goes out for any length of time, a battery operated aerator will keep your critters alive. So if you like the look of the bubbles, it won't do any harm to use an aerator, but if you just want more oxygen in the water... there are better, less messy options.
My question would be - is it the bubbles adding the O2 or is it the waterflow across the surface adding the O2.

Even in a power out I doubt that O2 gets very low. The problem with power outages is the CO2 builds up.

That said, having 3 or 4 bait keepers around with plenty of batteries is a must if you ever lose power and don't have a generator.

flower

My question would be - is it the bubbles adding the O2 or is it the waterflow across the surface adding the O2.

Even in a power out I doubt that O2 gets very low. The problem with power outages is the CO2 builds up.

That said, having 3 or 4 bait keepers around with plenty of batteries is a must if you ever lose power and don't have a generator.
I agree, it's just surface movement which circulates the water for good gas exchange. Power outages means no circulation. I have a generator now, but I keep those battery operated aerators handy with plenty of batteries around still... I always have to have help to start the generator, and sometimes folks don't want to come right over, I doubt the fish would die in a few hours, but I feel better with the air lines running.

RobP

That makes a lot of sense and I'm going to look for some of those battery operated aerators. Didn't know they had those.

flower

I found out about battery operated aerators when my power was out for 4 days, I couldn't find one to save my life, I lost some fish, and I managed to get a generator too late, now I'm prepared, and I hope to not have to use it. But have batteries on hand too and keep them up to date fresh. When there was an outage, I couldn't even find a battery to buy... but before an outage is the time to get ready for one..."Bait keeper's"... just google it, I ordered mine online..