water flow in 93 cube with corner overflow

honu808

Hey everyone. I have a 93 cube with corner overflow/standpipe. Question is this; Is there anything I can do to adjust/increase the amount of water draining into sump?
I have a Danner 9.5 return from my sump. I have my return pump restricted with ball valve about 1/2 way off or 50% restricted. If I increase my return volume the down tube burps a lot. It doesn't seem to me to be very much flow from the return. My water level in corner overflow is about 1.5-2" below tank water level which I believe is correct.
I have a power head rated for around 450gph for extra water movement inside tank, positioned about mid level.
Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks in advance.

1guydude

The blurping your hearing is probably your stand pipe going from partial siphon to full...or fully submerged under water. Usually when you have a full siphon. You have an emergency pipe as well. It will be a bit higher up just in case. A gate valve will allow better control than a ball valve but more $.
Imo research herbie and durso overflows. Also a larger powerheads will help too.
D

honu808

Could it have a large air bubble in curved top? Oh, probably not since the straw is at the top.
Water is coming over or through the teeth of overflow by maybe 1/8" and barely going through the oval cutout for return lines.

beaslbob

Is the sump end under the water level? If so try raising it to see if the surging goes away.

honu808

Yes the drain hose is under the water by about 6". Would that cause "back pressure"?
Thanks for all the input guys

honu808

I cut the drain line back today when i changed water. Its still about the same as far as having to restrict the return pump.

beaslbob

Yes the drain hose is under the water by about 6". Would that cause "back pressure"?
Thanks for all the input guys
Yes
at least It can. Pressure build up because the outlet is below water level, then with enough pressure is rushes out all at once. then repeats.

To test just temporarily have the outlet above the water level. If the surging stops that that was an issue. But now you would have water rushing/splashing noise.

honu808

I do not want loud rushing water sound.
Right now it takes about 2 min to drain 4" of water from sump back up to display.