rt101

Hi Guys

I need another ID please?
And need to know haw to care for it.
Got it for free at my LFS
Its a interacting one this time...

Fan.jpg

bang guy

It resembles one of the non-photosynthetic Gorgonians. Perhaps Diodogorgia sp.

Non-photosynthetic Gorgonians are incredibly difficult to keep in a small captive environment. They require lots and lots of zooplankton (they will eat dead zooplankton). The ones in the photo appear to be starving.

flower

It's a new coral, so it's hard to tell if it's starving...it does have some dead spots and branches. Most corals look stressed the first week or so. Lots of food, and lots of water current, and keep it out of the light, if it gets algae on it, the little flowers can't retract or extend to feed...good luck with it, they are hard to keep alive.

I think they are called sea whips

silverado61

Not strong current. They'll start to bend away from the flow. Just a steady, gentle flow to keep anything from settling on it.

flower

Not strong current. They'll start to bend away from the flow. Just a steady, gentle flow to keep anything from settling on it.
I've had sea whips, you don't want it to bend over from too much, but a gentle flow won't keep the alga off, it needs a good steady flow to go over constantly, it can't be in the light.

bang guy

Some Sea Whips are photosynthetic so MUST be in good light. These are the ones compatible with captive environments.

bang guy

Summary -

Two types of Sea Whips:

Photosynthetic - Require good lighting and some supplemental feeding. Experience level - moderate. Can be kept long term by most hobbyists.

Non-photosynthetic - Do not require lighting but require heavy zooplankton feeding at least twice daily (Dusk & Dawn). Experience level - very difficult. Typically perish within several months.

flower

Summary -

Two types of Sea Whips:

Photosynthetic - Require good lighting and some supplemental feeding. Experience level - moderate. Can be kept long term by most hobbyists.

Non-photosynthetic - Do not require lighting but require heavy zooplankton feeding at least twice daily (Dusk & Dawn). Experience level - very difficult. Typically perish within several months.
So which one are we looking at in the picture?

bang guy

It resembles one of the non-photosynthetic Gorgonians. Perhaps Diodogorgia sp.

Non-photosynthetic Gorgonians are incredibly difficult to keep in a small captive environment. They require lots and lots of zooplankton (they will eat dead zooplankton). The ones in the photo appear to be starving.

pegasus

It appears to be a red leptogorgia virgulata (colorful sea whip). These corals require moderate-to-high flow (preferably non-lateral) to carry food to the polyps and prevent algae build up. With feedings of phyto and/or marine snow, good flow, and good water parameters, it should recover.

silverado61

According to Julian Sprung, they eat phytoplankton, zooplankton, marine snow and poop.
They need little to nothing for light, medium to high water flow, are none aggressive and on a scale of 1-10 hardiness is a 6.

bang guy

I'd have to see some research to believe differently. Not saying I'm definitely right, just saying I'm not convinced.

Poop I can believe, select marine snow possibly. I'd just think they would require a much more robust digestive system to consume phyto.

pegasus

I use a 50/50 mix of TLF marine snow and PhytoPlex to feed my sea fan and my deepwater (finger) gorgs, so I can't say for sure that they can or can't digest phyto. I do, however, find a lot of sites recommending phyto as "part" of their diet.

I thought at first the picture was of a red finger gorgonian, but then I changed my mind. The reason I think it's a sea whip is because of the skeletal structure. Diodogorgia nodulifera has a thick and very brittle axial skeleton. Leptogorgia virgulata has a thinner and much more rigid axial skeleton, similar to that of many various sea whips and rods.