10 gallon nano reef

i am new here and never had saltwater fish id like to setup a nano reef i am going to order a light that says compatible with low light corals and soft corals what equipment would i need besides a heater light protein skimmer thermometer hydrometer salt ect and any advice on what to get as in coral wise invertbrate wise and would a firefish be fine

jay0705

Filter, unless u want to use the skimmer, a power head and live rock as your filtration.
A fire fish is fine, also a yellow watchman goby, clown goby, are also smaller fish.
Now this being your first go at sw, the smaller the tank the harder it is to maintain. R u going w a ten bc of space or cost?

cost and i have fw experience i have two large fw setups and only have room for a small 10 gallon tank and i am a highschool student with only a part time job ive had various freshwater fish and plants and have many now but sw im new and ive got time for either me or someone in my house to work on the tank

jay0705

Your welcome. Ok lets see, is sw time consuming? Eh, not for me. I only do fish and inverts tho no corals.
The size of your tank wont make it easy on you but it can be done.
I would say get a hob filter, your skimmer, heater, light, sand, not crushed coral.
Your skimmer wont be needed until a few months in however.
Also get a few pieces of good quality live rock.
As far as salt, I use instant ocean, but there are many diff types and some are "reef" salts. They have added trace elements.
Your salinity or sg for a reef should be around 1.024-1.025.
Idk what else u need to know. Feel free to ask.
Basic start will be add water to your tank then add salt. Mix give it a day and check your salinity. Once where u want it add your sand, it will take a day or so for the tank to clear. Once clear add your live rock.
Now the fun begins lol you wait! The rock will help cycle the tank. Once cycled your tank is ready for a fish or maybe a few cuc. Couple hermits, is a good start

bang guy

il go with blue legged hermit crabs and extra shells becauseninwant snails too what kind clean off the glass? and is two fish ok or just one
For nano tanks the Stomatella Snails cannot be beat. It's best to have a variety though, Cerith and Collonista would round it out nicely but the Hermits might eat the Collonista.

Your odds of success drop dramatically with two fish in a nano.

Be careful with the Firefish, they love to carpet surf. The Clown Goby is a good suggestion.

jay0705

I agree w bang. The more fish, the more bio load. The harder it is to keep good water quality

jay0705

Just a shrimp and fish? Yes some people few shrimp as part of your cuc. I think mine are helpful in that aspect. Your cuc helps keep the tank clean in turn keeping water quality better.
Btw in case u dont know cuc stands for clean up crew

and if i add a second fish with a firefish what are some interesting nano fish that will do something besides swim around randomly like my freshwater fish do and will act different than a firefish