Ich in my QT?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You'll want to try and stabilize your pH at least at 8.0, though that can be hard with hypo. Ultimately, you will need to gradually bring the pH up to the parameters in your display tank once you take the QT out of hypo and prepare to return the fish to the display. Keep in mind that lower pH (min 8.0) is best if there is any ammonia present during the process. Ammonia is less toxic with lower pH.

honu808

Hey Beth. My CB stopped eating 2 days ago when usually is a pig. I still have them in qt with hyposalinity. I tried all normal foods he use to eat. Flake, pellet, cyclopeeze, mysis even live pods. Not interested at all. I checked my pH and is at 8.3/8.4. Hard to tell exactly.
Would that cause him to not eat? Others in qt are eating well.
Amm-0
Trites and trates-0
Temp is 74
30 gal tank. I changed out 6 gal of water tonight matching temp, s.g.
Any suggestions?
Thanks Beth

beth

Administrator
Staff member
How are you able to keep your pH so high in hypo? How does the fish look, behave?

honu808

I used1/2 tsp of baking soda per 1 gal of ro water for top off. Everyone acts fine and eats fine except the CB angel. He will nip at the glass and heater but isnt interested in food.

honu808

I put about 2" of ro water into a 1/2 gal container and add bs. I cap the jug and shake until dissolved then fill rest of container with ro. Add as top off as needed.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I don't really think that is best. No way baking soda is going to completely dissolve doing that. How are you doing water changes? Do you have premixed hypo water? How do you mix the hypo water?

honu808

To make my hypo water, i take 21/2 cups of mixed sw at 1.025 and add that to a bucket. I then take ro water that ive heated to same temp and add it to the same bucket. Mixing it and adding more sw and ro water til i reach desired amount i want to change. I syp out tank water and then add pre mixed hypo water.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You are not explaining how you mix. Are you using a powerhead allowing for at least 24 circulation? This is essential for healthy salt water mix as well as adding buffer.

I suggest you set up a dedicated Rubbermaid type container (I use a tall kitchen garbage can), place your fresh water in there with a powerhead that can provide good circulation throughout the container. (I like to place the powerhead on the bottom of the can with the output facing upward. You should be able to see a gentle circulation at surface). My preference is to allow for a salt mix prep of 48 hrs, but it can be done in 24. At the end of the 24-48 test for pH, adjust accordingly, then allow the buffer to circulate at least for another several hrs. Test pH. You should never just mix up salt, buffers, any granular additives really, on the quick. They must be thoroughly mixed and aged to get accurate readings (especially so when adjusting pH). Salt already has buffers so you may not even need it.

Do you test your specific gravity in the QT tank itself? What about testing pH? What are the reading from the QT? Your refract should also have ppt readings....please post that measure as well.

honu808

Yes i use a 29 gal rubbermaid container to mix in. I have a powerhead and a heater in it and i like to keep about 20 gal mixed at all times. I take the mixed and aged sw out and add ro water to it to make my hypo water. I test qt water daily for s.g. And a couple times a week for pH. I will go test now.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Then did I misunderstand? Are you putting baking soda directly in the Rubbermaid mix container and allowing it to mix and age? If so, then all is well with that.

What are the specific symptoms of the sick fish other than not eating? Notice rapid breathing? Strange swimming?

honu808

Yes. Sorry not very clear on my mixing technique. Not eating, swimming is a little jerky. Notice white chunk on side of fish. Looks like scales are flared in that area. Hard to get a pic.
IMG_2005 (2).JPG

beth

Administrator
Staff member
ppt seems low. Its should be about 14. SG is right at 1,009?

This fish does look ailing in this pic. Rather pale in the head region. The pic, though, is low quality. How does this fish look to you, notice anything abnormal? What do you use for hides in the QT? Is this fish swimming about or being reclusive? Notice any aggression? It is always difficult to QT multiple fish as stress goes up for them. Don't under-estimate stress in fish.

honu808

My juvi yellow mimic tang does chase him a bit but not attack. I have. 3" pvc piece of pipe in the tank and i have only seen the CB enter it once. He spends his time swimming and picking at glass and at heater. His top back fins do look a little frayed but he looks fine. Still has brillant bright colors besides his head area.