Starting a 2nd tank, fish suggestions welcomed

Dflo

Hello all, I am picking up a 55 gal column tank that has been running for a little over a year. I want to add the 3 blue damsels, 3 yellow tail damsels and 2 three stripe damsels. I definitely want to do an Ocellaris Clownfish and possibly a black and white Ocellaris Clownfish. Any other suggestions? Thanks for everyone's input

mauler

I would look at other small fish damsels are pretty aggressive and would probably kill the clownfish and or each other. Some good more peaceful substitutes would be fire fish, cardinal fish, chromis, gobies, wrasses and blennies.

jay0705

Your border line at your limit already w 6 fish. Yes there small, but there aggressive and a 55 isnt large by sw standards

Flame Angelfish, 2 Black & white clownfish, Sixline was, Royal Gramma, Raccoon Butterfly, Bubble Tip Anemone, and I believe you could get a free blue Hippo Tang in here.

kopczynski

A 55 column would be like putting the poor blue tang in a prison cell, they need at least an 180 gallon tank and even when the fish is small it still needs to swim. as far as your other tank mates maybe 1 pair of clowns a royal gramma and a dwarf angel and some sort of wrasse.

Last edited:
"A 55 column would be like putting the poor blue tang in a prison cell, they need at least an 180 gallon tank and even when the fish is small it still needs to swim. as far as your other tank mates maybe 1 pair of clowns a royal gramma and a dwarf angel and some sort of wrasse."

1). This is what everyone said, But I believe 1 inch of fish for 2 gallons tanks more, I have saw two blue tangs in 10 inches tank in *****
2). I have saw three yellow tangs in the same tangs in *****
3). I believe you know more than me, but I disagree.

mauler

A hippo tang would have a horrible life in a 55 gallon tank I had one in my 135 and it used every inch of my tank. No tang belongs in a 55. Plus it's a column tank.
As far as ***** goes what they do is fish is just wrong. Just because you've seen one place do it doesn't make it right those small tanks are also a reason why ***** fish are usually unhealthy also they are not keeping them long term. I really hope you don't stock your tank by this logic.

mauler

Part 1 isn't horrible but the yellow tang and niger trigger will need a bigger tank. Part 2 is way over stocked those tangs should not be in that tank.

jay0705

As you've seen at *****, fish can be kept in too small of tanks. Doesn't mean they live very long doing so

mauler

What about in 6 months when those fish are bigger? a small fish may be happy in small tank but only for a short time you have to think about keeping them happy for life not till you get bored of them.
Also I'm not seeing a list.

As you've seen at *****, fish can be kept in too small of tanks. Doesn't mean they live very long doing so
Very truth, but I saw ***** keep 2 Blue Tangs more than two weeks, and one more than three weeks, and last week I saw they keep Lemon and carol angelfish in the same tank with five other fish. MHO, i do not see any problem to keep a blue tang under 180 gallon tank.

mauler

If two-three weeks is your idea of long term success then you are sadly mistaken. The fact that they aren't fighting with each other because they are in such small over stocked tanks with fish constantly coming and going and they can't "claim" a spot in it basically there is no pecking order. The behavior you see in fish at pet stores is not the way they will act in your tank.

What about in 6 months when those fish are bigger? a small fish may be happy in small tank but only for a short time you have to think about keeping them happy for life not till you get bored of them.
Also I'm not seeing a list.
I have a hippo since July, it only grow 1/2 of inch, below is what I post before.

"Flame Angelfish, 2 Black & white clownfish, Sixline was, Royal Gramma, Raccoon Butterfly, Bubble Tip Anemone, and I believe you could get a free blue Hippo Tang in here"

I have 120 gallon & 30 gallon tank,. What I try to do suggest him take advantage the Xmas promotion in here, spend $149 and get the hippo tang for free.