Top on aquarium

flower

Hi,

Yes you still need the power heads, but a return pump is to bring the water from a sump to the top tank, so you would need that as well if you have a sump, or you would empty out the display.

You want to get as much oxygen into the tank that you can. There is less oxygen in saltwater then fresh, the warmer the water the less oxygen as well, and most folks keep a tropical set-up.

Power heads spread the oxygenated water throughout the tank. The open top allows as much surface water as possible to be exposed to the fresh air, and then circulated throughout the tank by the power heads and any other means, such as a return pump which causes more surface movement, or a skimmer. I always made the surface water in my displays look like it is boiling, even now while I keep seahorses and use airlines instead of power heads, the surface is agitated enough to look like it's boiling.

ClaptonsGhost

When I bought my tank 10 years ago from a reputable, large LFS in the Charlotte area, it came with a 3 piece cover that completely sealed the tank. No one told me not to close it, so I assumed closing it tight kept out dust or something (my previous tanks had HOB filters so I always had proper aeration). Keeping the covers closed completely wiped out my tank, almost a grand worth of fish, and the LFS I deal with now didn't mention anything about the covers until after my loss, even though I had them come to plumb and install new filtration. They were well aware of my covers and even placed them and closed them before they left. Very aggravating!!!

Right now I keep the covers open in front, removed the plastic pieces in the back, and I have plenty of turbulence and a skimmer. I need the middle piece of glass because that's what my lights sit on.

Bryce E

Yeah and like bang guy said that 2 inches could be adequate if you have something to move the air. Is there a canopy/ lid over the tank. if so a very small fan positioned over the gap could work. although without a large hood to hide it that may be rather unsightly.