pakistan butterfly

mauler

Does anyone have info or preferably personal experience with it all I can seem to find is that its not recommended for reef tanks.

mauler

I'm not worried about water quality. And my lfs has 3 of them that they've had for over a month so I'm pretty sure they're eating

geridoc

I'm not worried about water quality. And my lfs has 3 of them that they've had for over a month so I'm pretty sure they're eating
The big question isn't whether they are eating, but what they are eating. Many butterflies are coralliovores, and will not survive lonb-term unless you provide coral polyps for them.

mauler

They aren't eating coral I know that. If do get one it won't be in a reef tank so does that mean I'll need to buy cheap coral to feed him?

Cali_G

I've kept a fair number of butterflies over the years. I would put Pakistanis in the "average" category for butterflies longevity. In comparison, I feel they are on the lines of Pearlscale or Raccoon but not as easy as an Auriga but, much easier than a Copperband. The important thing is that, like most butterflies, they need a large tank or they get stressed and die. They are also much more reef safe than Longnose or Copperbands. Many people will say they pick on polyps but they prefer SPS, although they do require several daily feedings to avoid potential nipping at sessile inverts.

mauler

I have a 6'x20" 135 gallon tank so I'm guessing it's big enough for one. He'll also be in a fish only tank so I'm concerned about if he's reef safe or not. Is there anything special they need in there diet or is mysis, krill, algae and pellets enough?

Cali_G

Sorry I missed your comment that it will be in a fish only tank ... I assume with live rock? If there is live rock he will have plenty of stuff to graze on. As for foods, I have always liked Ocean Nutrition frozen foods. It’s all I ever use. I feel they give a wide variety of food sources (proteins) in each blend without a lot of added water or fillers. I also use Selcon. For butterflies I use Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 and Formula 2 soaked with Selcon. I’m not an advocate of feeding single proteins to any fish, with the exception of spirulina.

mauler

Yeah I have around 140-150lbs of rock. I use zoe and zoecon to soak the food in. I'll have to look into that ocean nutrition.