Need some help with all this new stuff

Iowasteve

Hello everyone!
Not my first time with saltwater but that was early 80s this new fancy stuff I have no clue what's really nessecary and what is excessive . I have a 35 tall tank I wanna do a reef tank inverts a couple of clowns and really cool coral and reef life. First refugium two ten gallon one sand one mud is
A uv sterilizer needed ? I know a protein skimmer is needed but what else I'll be using live rock and sand . Please advise in needed!

trigger40

mud? what are you using mud for? i have never heard of mud in salt water, what do you plan to use it for? but you will not need a uv sterilizer. just use a qt. you wont need the protein skimmer untill your bio load starts becoming to much for your live rock. oh and welcome to the forum!

Iowasteve

Well I seen a refugium with a mud bottom growing kelp and other plants and it had lots of clams and looked really like a good idea for fresh oxygen and cleaning water . Was
Hoping someone could tell me
More about that ?

trigger40

lol i dont think many people know anout that. but i may be wrong. i recomend macroalgae for your refugium. thats what i use for my reef.

Iowasteve

Yeah I knew I needed that it was the first and only time I've seen "mud" used. He took
Out a spoon full it was like a dark clay mud flat looking mud had lots of life in it ... And the plants looked really healthy.

trigger40

i know people use mud for mangroves. i think you should use live rock, live sand, and macroalgae... but its not my tank. but you must remember corals arent plants.

Iowasteve

It's called
Mircle mud it's to more to minerals to
Tank naturally the plants are just for his enjoyment ... I called lol

trigger40

lol i think this mud is for a planted tank. what do you plan to put in your tank as far as coral and live stock.

Iowasteve

Just a couple of clowns for fish some
Coral safe inverts and some
Easy stuff too begin with as far as coral . Something to
Keep
Sand moving around

trigger40

if you are only gona keepa pair of clowns you probaly wont need a skimmer. just get a good light for your sump and fill it with macroalgae. macroalgae is by far the best thing i have got for my tank. it keeps my water pristine with a heavy bio load. i would go with nassrius snails to shift your saind bed around.

Iowasteve

I got a nice led light with a night/ day timer yeah I'm looking at a pair of black clowns wife wants a pink anemone for them... I'm
More into the beautiful coral life both
Hard and soft

Iowasteve

Is led light enuff for coral both hard and soft ? Or is metal halide needed ? My thoughts are yes but I'm afraid of the 35 gallon heating up to much ...

Iowasteve

And invert life any suggestions ? The nasssirus snails are a must but what else ? I want active vs beauty but ideally both traits would be nice . Crabs a star fish shrimp clams ...

eric b 125

At one point Miracle Mud was a pretty popular thing to use in a fuge. You don't see it too much any more...I think it caused more problems than it was worth. You probably won't need a metal halide in a 35 gallon. Depending on what kind of LED's you have, they might be enough. If not, then I think T5's would be the best way to go.

Iowasteve

Lol and of course things change ... A good friend just gave me a 75 SWT so now my plans will totally change its a tall 75 so I'll need s ton more live rock and rubble any idea how much?

Iowasteve

I really can't find anything bad about the miracle mud ... Actually nothing bad mouthing at all... But I'll keep looking im sure it's out there !!!

bang guy

Miracle Mud became popular for refugium substrate about a decade ago. The claims are it's natural substrate from estuaries that contains supplies of minerals that assist macroalgae and even coral growth such as iron, manganese, stuff found only in lagoons feeding coral reefs.

It all sounded plausible to me until a few people started analyzing the contents and found things like sticks, grass roots, crickets, stuff you would find if you put a shovelful of dirt from your backyard into a fancy bucket.