Starting a 2nd tank, fish suggestions welcomed

mauler

Your tank is fine. But I don't understand why your trying tell someone they should get a fish that doesn't belong in a 55 gallon tank?

"If two-three weeks is your idea of long term success then you are sadly mistaken"

When did I said 2-3 weeks is my idea of long term success, that is *****, fish come and go, otherwise they will run out of business.

Your tank is fine. But I don't understand why your trying tell someone they should get a fish that doesn't belong in a 55 gallon tank?
I don't believe blue tang require 180 gallon tank, it is good to have, if I am buying 2 inches of blue tang, it sounds like I should not have any more fish because my tank is only 120 gallon, I more to believe 1 inch fish / two gallon rule.

May I ask you how many fish in your tank?

mauler

I think gallon size it's self is irrelevant it's the foot print of the tank that matters and a 55 doesn't have the foot print for tangs.
The 1" per 2 gallon rule is flawed if you have a 3" clownfish and 3" tang the bio load is not equal the tang eats more and poops more than clown. By that rule I could put a 12" tang in 30 gallon tank and it technically will still be following that rule.

I think gallon size it's self is irrelevant it's the foot print of the tank that matters and a 55 doesn't have the foot print for tangs.
The 1" per 2 gallon rule is flawed if you have a 3" clownfish and 3" tang the bio load is not equal the tang eats more and poops more than clown. By that rule I could put a 12" tang in 30 gallon tank and it technically will still be following that rule.
Very well said and I agreed with you that you cannot put "12" tang into 30 gallon tang, it will die instantly because it will not have enough space for the tang swim around.

Anyway, I have watching many video that the blue tang did exist in many small tank, Question: If your blue tang have ach, I only have a 10 gallon QT, I have to put him into the 10 gallon tank for Hypo treatment for about 4-5 weeks, will he be recover?

mauler

There hundreds if not thousands of videos of people keeping fish in tanks that are to small does that make it right? No. Also do ever see a 1 year or 2 year update on these videos? Most likely no because the fish either died and they sold the tank or the fish got to big and they sold their tank. Plus I think there's a reason why they're choosing to share their tank on YouTube rather than a site like this cause they know most people won't agree with the fish they have.
A 10 gallon tank is awfully small if there was no way I could get something bigger then I'd use the 10 if it was an absolute emergency.

Is this a typo?

"
Blue Hippo Tang
Size : 1.5-2.5 inches
Care Level : Moderate
Temperament : Peaceful
Reef Safe :
Diet :
Pellet, Flake, Greens
Origin : Indian Ocean
Acclimation Time : 4+ hours
Coral Safe : Yes
Invertebrate Safe : Yes
Minimum Tank Size : 40 gallons?

mauler

That is what they are recommending for a tang of that purchase size not for life. It's very misleading.

jay0705

This one is better have the staff in here to answer. And all fish here are very strong and health.
I order from this site, and I still dare anybody to tell me 2" hippo has a good chance for survival. Do your own research. Search survival rates of small tangs. Its horrible, unless there captive raised. Your free fish is not captive raised

I order from this site, and I still dare anybody to tell me 2" hippo has a good chance for survival. Do your own research. Search survival rates of small tangs. Its horrible, unless there captive raised. Your free fish is not captive raised
I am telling you, I have one since July. But I do agree, it is very hard.

kopczynski

The reason your tang has only grown half an inch is fish will only grow to a certian point in a small tank. If that same tang was in a 200 gallon system it might have grown 1-2" because it has the space to grow. A fish will never stop growing but keeping it in a smaller tank could slow down growth cause stress and lead to death.

trigger40

if you keep a fish in too small of a tank the fishes body will stop growing but not its organs. it will also cause deformities and a premature death.

The reason your tang has only grown half an inch is fish will only grow to a certian point in a small tank. If that same tang was in a 200 gallon system it might have grown 1-2" because it has the space to grow. A fish will never stop growing but keeping it in a smaller tank could slow down growth cause stress and lead to death.
I have a yellow tail damsel since June in 120 gallons tank, it only grown less than half inch, I believe part of it, what did you feed them, I only feed them pullet and flake food. All of my fish did not really growing except the maroon clownfish.