lettuce nudibranch

lietz06

Tell me what you know about them. Are they easy, or hard to care for? Just anything you know about them fill me in.

alix2.0

they are very specialized eaters. if they dont have a lot of hair algae or algae sheets to feed on, theyll starve.

florida joe

Care Level: Moderate
Temperament: Peaceful
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, sg 1.023-1.025, pH 8.1-8.4
Max. Size: 3"
Color Form: Green, Tan, Yellow
Diet: Herbivore
Origin: Atlantic Ocean
Family: Elysiidae
The Lettuce Sea Slug is an unusual and entertaining addition to the reef aquarium. It has highly folded parapodia (side appendages), which give it a ruffled appearance similar to lettuce. The Lettuce Sea Slug is captivating not only for its interesting shape but also for its purposeful and comical manner in which it creeps along your reef aquarium. The coloration of the Lettuce Sea Slug generally ranges from green, yellow, or brown.
The Lettuce Sea Slug may also be referred to as the Lettuce Nudibranch, or Green Lettuce Nudibranch, although it is not a true nudibranch. It has been referred to as both Tridachia crispata and Elysia crispata. The Lettuce Sea Slug will do well in established aquarium systems, if provided ample room to forage. It prefers an aquarium with live rock so that it can graze on algae.
The Lettuce Sea Slug incorporates the chloroplasts (the portions of the cell responsible for photosynthesis) from the algae into its tissues, and thus relies on photosynthesis for part of its energy. Pump intakes and drains can harm the Lettuce Sea Slug, so care should be taken to screen these off. It is sensitive to high levels of nitrate and will not tolerate copper-based medications. The Lettuce Sea Slug has no distinguishing characteristics to help differentiate it from its mate.

liadb

I have three peaceful lettuce nudibranches that don't harm my corals, anemones, or anything else.. In the past few weeks they have changed color from green to yellow. Are they trying to tell me something? I don't have anymore green algae, just red coraline. I do put up green and red algae sheets every other week for a few hours.

bang guy

I kept a colony of E. crispata Lettuce Slugs for years in my lagoon. They require good light and from what I have seen they prefer Bryopsis but will eat manytypes of Macro Algae. They require occational feasting on Halimeda to replenish their stolen chloroplasts.

I'll look for a picture of mine, I lucked into a rather good looking breed.

liadb

I have two nice shave brush? I think that's the same family? There is certainly macro algae in the tank & feedings... hmmm, good source of chloroplasts. Maybe I added some kind of trace element that is inhibiting something they need....

bang guy

I have two nice shave brush? I think that's the same family? There is certainly macro algae in the tank & feedings... hmmm, good source of chloroplasts. Maybe I added some kind of trace element that is inhibiting something they need....
Yes, I believe Shaving Brush is one of the alga they use to steal chloroplasts.

I found a pic of one of mine munching on Grape Caulerpa.